Thursday, August 21, 2008

You do the math

On a good day, I average about a 12 minute mile.
One mile is 4 laps around the track.

That means that each lap takes me about...(12 divided by 4, carry the 1)... 3 minutes.

LaShawn Merritt just won the gold medal in the 400 for his personal best at 43.75 SECONDS. 1 lap. All the way around the track. Amazing.
That means at that speed it would take him...(43.75 times 4, rounding down) 175 seconds which equals (175 divided by 60 seconds, rounding up) 2.91 minutes.
I wouldn't even be done with my first lap.
Reason 42 why I'm not an Olympic athlete.

7 comments:

LKC said...

Come on, Jacqui. He can't sustain that pace for four whole laps. I'm sure you'd be able to catch up to him by the fourth lap. :)

Jacqui said...

You're right, he probably couldn't keep it up that long, but if he's slowing down around the one minute mark I probably would too :) He'd still finish before my 1 lap :)

Brenny said...

That is pretty incredible. I bet you could take him in a meal planning competition. Just you think about that.

Robin Fisher said...

yes, his record is pretty amazing, but how fast can he change a poopie diaper?

Kelli said...

Wow! I betcha he couldn't have done all that math though! For a moment I thought you were really going to make me do the math. I would have never come here again. ha-ha. Like I can stay away.

Peay Family said...

Tell me where half way is and we would be happy to meet you there.

stephanie said...

I don't even think tha la shawn whatever his name could keep up that kind of pace for four laps, he was sprinting for one! I am so glad you are running, I think it is kind of addicting! just like blogging is!