Start with fresh, vine ripened tomatoes. They give the best flavor. Wash and cut off stems.

Blanch tomatoes in a boiling water bath for 1 minute. 

Remove quickly to a cold water bath.

Skins are now loosened and can easily be peeled off. Remove skins.

Crush tomatoes (10 cups), added diced onion (4 cups),

peppers (6 cups--a combination of green bell, Anaheim, and jalapeno),

cilantro (1 cup), salt (3 tsp), pepper (1.5 tsp), garlic (5 tsp), cumin (2 tsp), and vinegar (1 cup).

Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Proceed with bottling or eat immediately with chips or tacos. Mmmm!
The blanching/peeling of the tomatoes is also great when making your own spaghetti or pizza sauce.
If you are bottling your salsa, the recipe must be followed exactly to ensure food safety! If you're just going to eat it with dinner, be creative and vary things up a bit to see what you like and don't like.
For additional recipes and for important food safety bottling tips, please read some important information from the experts at New Mexico State University: http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_e/e-323.html
10 comments:
yummmm!!! That looks so good. Maybe once we move to El Paso, I can start bottling my own salsa, too.
You don't have to, Rob. They already make their own salsa in Texas: OLD EL PASO. Duh!
BWAHAHHAHAHAH! Good one Jacq! I'm so excited to make salsa, I can hardly stand it! It looks SO good.
By the way, how many jars does one batch make?
Hot dang, you're making me hungry!
So do you remember the time I made salsa fresca and rubbed the oil from the pepper in my eyes? Lol... yah!!
Don't worry, it hasn't put me off making salsa though. Can't get enough of that stuff!
Hey, I actually still talk to Pickle every so often, and Brandon and I facebook. Such good guys. Thanks for the address offer!
I would like to add a step for Laura: pay Jacqui money to bottle said salsa for Laura's food storage.
I like the pay Jacqui idea! It looks so and smells so yummy. Yeah, I think I can actually smell it. When you added the cilantro I was in heaven!
Hey since I can't even get my tomatoes to grow how about you just make me some salsa? It looks so good and now you have excited a new pregnancy craving. Good job jacqui!!!
This receipe looks delicious. I hope to find some time to make salsa this year. I haven't made it yet but we will try to even with the new little one around. She is a doll and it takes up a lot of my time, as you well know. Thanks for the salsa receipe, I will use it. I tried some salsa the other day with a lot of peppers in it and I was won over. So, this one looks good to me!!Thanks, I'll let you know when I do it, Kurt will also be excited.
I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe! We planted 20 tomato plants this year, and they're just starting to come on, so I'm going to need to do something with them. Great idea! I'll let you know how it goes - I'm going to have tomatoes coming out of my ears!
Post a Comment