This is what I wore to a wedding reception yesterday:
Note to self: It is never a good idea to just "throw on a skirt" to go to a wedding reception (or anywhere that would dictate wearing a skirt, for that matter). Everyone else there will look fantastic in their latest fashions and current colors. Jacqui, on the other hand, will look frumpy and dark. At least I had done my hair that morning...
Note to self: It is never a good idea to just "throw on a skirt" to go to a wedding reception (or anywhere that would dictate wearing a skirt, for that matter). Everyone else there will look fantastic in their latest fashions and current colors. Jacqui, on the other hand, will look frumpy and dark. At least I had done my hair that morning...
Like the dress? I'm sure a few of you will recognize it. This is the dress I bought to wear my high school graduation. It was totally the style in the late 90's. It's also the dress that I wore to my college graduation 6 years later. What ever possessed me to wear the same dress I'll never know. I probably thought I was being frugal, but really it was just a symptom of the disease: inability to throw away old clothes that "still fit." As an embarrassing side note, I continued to wear this dress the year after my graduation when I was pregnant with Andrew. I believe I was able to wear it until I was about 7 months pregnant (I'm pretty sure now that it didn't look good at 7 months pregnant) AND to add the icing to this dress, I wore it 7 months pregnant to my friend's wedding reception. I'm so sorry, Laura.
I got this skirt my Junior year of high school. It's just starting to fit again and I've convinced myself that floral is back in fashion. Another unfortunate symptom of the disease: delusion-- persistent false psychotic belief regarding objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary. Florals are not is style this week. It's gotta go.I got this dress last year for my birthday as my "goal dress." I knew that I was back to my healthiest body when I felt pretty in this dress. This was my before picture last September--in true "no make-up, flat hair" before-picture-form (I can't believe I'm posting this):
And this is what I wore today:
I get compliments on the dress occasionally, so I think (and this is probably just more of the delusion) it's still ok even though I bought it a year ago. But be sure to check on me in 2 years to make sure it's found it's way to the rag pile.

And this is what I wore today:
I get compliments on the dress occasionally, so I think (and this is probably just more of the delusion) it's still ok even though I bought it a year ago. But be sure to check on me in 2 years to make sure it's found it's way to the rag pile.
I also just got this dress a few weeks ago. I feel sassy and cute and hip and that's why I bought it. Kraig nearly fell over when I came home with it (not because of the price, I got it on sale) because it's so unlike anything I've ever had. I love it! But once again, please remind me that this loud dress won't be so cute in 2 years (or 7, shudder, shudder).So this is my style question for all of my more fashionable friends and relatives out there: What do you wear everyday? Sunday dresses are one thing, but I jumped into the t-shirt and jeans/capris/shorts rut about 10 years ago and haven't been able to free myself yet. I buy 3-5 of the same shirt in different colors and call myself fashionable by rotating through them each week. I hate to iron, so all shirts I've bought that need to be ironed are worn once and then thrown on the top of my closet in the 'to be ironed' pile, never to be seen again. So, cute friends, what's the secret?
UPDATE: I read this post to Kraig and he was elated that I wanted to get rid of some of my clothes. Who knew that he thought I had such poor style too. So after he gave me the thumbs up to make a Goodwill run, I asked if that meant I could go shopping for some new clothes. There was a long pause followed by a disclaimer that I'm the reason I never go shopping, not him. Pass the cash, baby!
16 comments:
Woo Hoo, let's go shopping. I think I have the same disease. Are you sure it isn't contagious? I just threw away my last oversized corduroy shirt last year. I kept telling myself I'd wear it camping but it never happened. I have a lot of 'camping' shirts that are really just shirts I can't seem to part with. I hear you about not having much style. I had to have a friend come shopping with me last time I needed to get work shirts.
And you look FABULOUS in both dresses. Seriously, you look great.
I agree with Brenny (I usually do) You look great in your dresses.
Next, I too, have a collection of Camping shirts AND sweaters from years past. To make it worse, I haven't even lived in a place that necessitates wearing sweaters for over 6 years. I am afraid most of my sweaters won't make the move to El Paso.
Finally, I have the jean or jean capri problem, too. I started changing my look by buying solid color pants or capris. They are the same price and usually look 100 times better. Check the fabric for easy care (I LOVE my pair of black capris that are a poly/rayon/spandex blend)
Next you have to iron, sorry. But I have found that if I iron on one day (usually laundry day) I look cuter all week and Sunday isn't hectic. Plus you can iron your pillowcases (I know it sounds crazy, but OH the LUXURY!) while you have the iron out.
When you go shopping, take an honest friend--Think Stacy or Clinton. Don't buy it just because it is cheap. Don't buy it if you already have something like it.
Sorry about the book.
Who are "Stacy or Clinton" ?
Stacy and Clinton...TLC's What Not to Wear hosts. That show is very helpful. Sometimes I check out their website before I go shopping to be inspired to buy clothes that look good on me-not just ones on sale or whatever.
I agree with getting rid of clothes. You know how you get to the point of a closet full of clothes, but you only wear the same three or four things, over and over. This is prime time to dump and restock. I like to get rid of lots, so my closet is so sparse I feel justified in getting more.
Also, treating yourself to one new outfit a season is fun, and keeps you up to date...sort of.
I hate, hate, hate to iron. My ironing pile used to wait for weeks...even months. We're talking kids would grow out of an outfit before I got it back into the closet. So I gave up. I mean, I was pulling stuff out of the pile to iron on an as need basis, so now I just pull out of the closet and iron as needed. Plus the clothes are not as wrinkly from the closet. Of course, this method often leaves us with no time to iron in the morning, thus leaving the house a bit wrinkled. Sometimes a spray of water makes me think it will just shake out. Oh, sometimes we toss stuff back in the dryer to get the wrinkles out, too.
Robin you are awesome to iron weekly. My mom does. Maybe someday I will grow up...
ps-Jacqui you look great!
Iron? What's an iron? Just kidding, but actually, I buy Darren iron free shirts, or polos, for work just to avoid it...
I didn't start ironing until I had a "cadillac" of an iron. Previous to that, I was using the same iron I purchased in college--I think I got it at Wal Mart for $10. My new iron has some serious weight and a stainless steel, mirror shiny bottom. I actually use distilled water. It has a button that not only will give a spray of water, it has another button that gives a burst or shot of steam. It is all about the right tools.
Brenny, you know who Stacy and Clinton are, right?
AFter Christi told me, yeah, I know who Stacy and Clinton are. I do watch the show, but not enough to have actually picked up on their names apparently. I'm always focusing on taking notes about clothes...
This post was so funny. I'm definately suffering from whatever it is! :o) I think pregnancy compounds the problem. I don't want to buy a bunch of maternity clothes that I will only wear a few times, so I try to get by on whatever baggy/stretchy/elastic things I have in my closet already. Afterwards, I don't want to buy any larger sized clothes to wear, so I continue to wear the baggy/stretchy/elastic clothes until I am back to pre-pregnancy size. Those pre-pregnancy clothes are at least 6-12 years old!!
Rencher, you are one hot mamma! Love that little black dress!
Dude, I SO remember some of those old dresses. Lol.
PS - the flight went fine, the ear didn't bother me at all. Thanks for worrying with me. :)
I am also deathly ill with this disease so I am not much help. I have t-shirts from 20+ years ago. (now I use the excuse I will make a t-shirt quilt from them)!
I iron so frequently that honestly my boys will all yell "Hey Mom got that surfboard and iron thing out come watch!" It is humilating. I think I ironed for all my siblings weddings!
Jacqui,
You can always take your Dad shopping. :) Everything he insists that I buy brings compliments from co-workers, people at church, my family and others when I wear them. One pantsuit that he talked me into is now one of my favorite because I get such "raves" when I wear it. Besides, you know how your Dad loves to shop with/for you girls!
Come to think of it, I do recall seeing that dress at my wedding. Lucky for you, I was way too self-absorbed to notice/care that it was the same dress from HS/College graduation. Or, I wouldn't have cared even if I had known. I like the black dress!
Jacqui, you wore the top outfit (green shirt and jean skirt) to my reception. That is hilarious. Lately I have been watching What not to where and have realized my own clothing crisis. Not only is my pregnancy inhibiting my fashion desires, but I have a very sad wardrobe anyway. I wish I could be nominated for a total makeover. That would fabulous to spend someone elses money!!
Oww oww, you look great!!!
Oww oww, you look great!!!
Jacqui,
You look great. i love the new dress you bought. I can see why Kraig likes it so much. New styles are always needed and it is always a fun excuse to go shopping. Especially when you find a great sale then it looks even better.
Post a Comment