I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to moving. My idea of packing up is putting everything in garbage bags. Since I've never done a cross state move (as a married woman with kids--going to/from college doesn't count. It all fit in my Jeep practically), I need some packing/loading/traveling tips. We're not renting a U-haul, but are borrowing our bro-in-law's snowmobile trailer for the big stuff. We'll have a few other large cars to help haul our junk--I'm thinking that putting the breakable things inside one of the cars will be safer than in the trailer--less breakage. Is that true? HELP! We're out of here two weeks from today.
3 comments:
As someone who has moved several times, and across states, here are some things we have done:
1. pack dishes between old T-shirts
2. pack drinking glasses in socks
3. number boxes and create lists of items in the box on an index card -- this is helpful expecially if you are storing stuff for a while
4. don't lose the index cards :)
The socks and T-shirts really work well -- we didn't break any dishes!
You can go to uhaul and buy bubble wrap and white newspaper to wrap breakables in. I went crazy with the stuff. I looked on craigslist to find "free moving boxes." That's also how I got rid of them! People just leave them on the curb and you go pick them up--awesome. Also I would not want to move without a good packing tape dispenser and a huge black marker for marking boxes. Good luck!
From an expert mover, I have lots of advice. I like all of the suggestions others have given. I would add, if you're going to shell out money for boxes, get similar sized boxes for easier stacking/storing. Also, boxes of books get very, very heavy so make sure you have smallish ones for books.
This last move, I finally did something I don't normally do. I just put everything away w/o meticulously organizing it first. I'll go through and organize all of the closets and drawers later. It really helped just to get everything out of the way so that it wasn't all piled up in the hallways. Really, those first couple weeks will be hard enough getting settled, you don't need your stuff to be spread out overwhelming you.
Good luck!
Post a Comment