So I decided to tackle my storage room today. Bottling my own fruit seemed like such a good idea until I had to put it all in boxes and move it 500 miles. Thankfully we've eaten through most of our produce that we bottled last year--there were only about 75 quart jars of peaches, pears, tomatoes, apples, and grape juice that had to be delicately boxed. That might sound like a lot, but I boxed up about 100 empty glass jars that we'd already emptied of their contents.
I'm actually really sad to be missing the Webb Harvest this year. Mom Webb and my sisters-in-law are all SO generous to share their produce. We saved so much money this winter because we could depend on our food storage. I hope I can find a nice neighbor in CO who has tomatoes or tree fruit out her ears and needs to learn how to bottle them. I'll gladly share my knowledge if she'll share her produce.
4 comments:
You should be the poster child for provident living. I wish you could teach me this stuff. And that I preferred canned fruit to oreos and tortilla chips.
Well, you know what they say--store what you'll eat. I think a person could survive quite a long time off of the oreos and tortilla chips in the food storage.
Honestly, I'm with you--I'd rather have the oreos and tortilla chips, but the fruit was free that we bottled. Oreos cost money.
I was just talking about canning with a friend out here yesterday. We're thinking about making our own sauces and canning them this winter. Good idea? I've never canned before so this could be a disaster.
It is a good idea, but if the fruit isn't free (or grown yourself) buying it and all the supplies to make the sauce, buying bottles, lids, rings, and a canner is really expensive. Sometimes it's just cheaper to catch Ragu on sale (but it certainly doesn't taste as good...)
Post a Comment