This week I've felt a strong urge to get my home in better order. I signed up for a daily cleaning reminder (not that I really need a reminder to clean everyday, but she gives good hints). I haven't actually cleaned anything she's suggested, but I was finally inspired and motivated to get this daunting task done.
At 2:01 I took these photos of my pantry:
I unloaded everything to my counters and separated all the food into piles: Snacks, Baking, Cooking, Storage/Bulk, Cookbooks/recipes, and Misc. I seem to have an amazing amount of processed cheese that ended up in the Misc. category.
Then I proceeded to put it all back in the pantry after wiping down the shelf liner. So at 2:57 I snapped these finished project photos.
I suppose if you're not standing right in front of it, you might not be able to tell exactly how much work was done. The cupboards are really deep and I tend to stack things right on the edge making any food that's further back unusable because I don't want to knock down the piles in the front. I added some wire shelves (That I bought for $.25 at a yard sale--once again, who gets rid of organizational shelving? Probably that person who says to herself, "That's it! I'm tired of knowing where things are!"). With the added shelving, I was able to better use the otherwise unusable space between the shelves. I'm pleased it's done.
Now I just have to retrain my family. An unnamed person, we'll call him 'K', set an entire bag of groceries inside the cupboard just this morning--no sorting or anything. I watched him do it and realized I'm not the only one to blame for it's disorganization.









10 comments:
The cupboard looks great. Want to come down and do my pantry? Actually, you've inspired me to get my pantry organized. Every time I open it I get an anxious feeling wondering if I will be able to find what I need...
So, since you are such an expert now how about coming to my house and performing a similar miracle.
Very nice. I was just thinking about blogging on this very subject...not sure if I'm brave enough to take "before" pictures. :)
When you are tired of organzing your already organized cupboards feel free to stop on by. I still giggle about "Who gets rid of all-purpose shelving. It's all-purpose!"
Makes you want to leave the cupboard doors open so others can enjoy your accomplishments but children just don't make that possible. Looks great, Jacqui!
You could leave the doors open OR you could just swing on them from time to time until they fall off and then you can display how very organized you are! or are not!
Looks great!
Great post. I am baffled that someone got rid of the shelves. I am always looking to buy more of such things!
Sadly Jacqui, I actually donated some of that shelving before we moved. Now I am kicking myself. Yard saling around here is slim pickings--you have to get up before the Mexicans. Your shelves/pantry look great. I am inspired.
Oh, yeah, I forgot, what were the kids doing while you organized. I am guessing they were sleeping otherwise that little project would have taken 3 hours.
Yup, that was the 2nd hour of nap time. Andy was watching a movie and it ended about half way through my project, so I used him as my runner down to the storage room for excess things we didn't need upstairs. I'm so glad he's grown up to be so helpful. I hope one day he'll be able to fetch honey for me, just like Adam does :)
Post a Comment