Friday, February 29, 2008

A Project for a Sunny Day

I've had an itch to redecorate my bedroom for a few months now. Last year I painted my furniture and bought some fabric and made curtains to match the bedding. Since we've moved we have beautiful shutters on our windows, thus making the curtains useless. I've since been uninspired about my bedroom. Take a look:

See what I mean? Pretty uninspiring. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I chose that color for the bedroom set. Anyway, it's been BEAUTIFUL here (it'll be 70 degrees tomorrow) and I decided that if I'm going to redecorate, it had to be today while it was warm. Who knows when the next warm spell will be. So this is what I've been doing today in the backyard: I went to Home Depot earlier in the week and chose a few paint colors I liked. I finally decided on this one, pictured above. It's called Starry Night, by Ralph Lauren. I also chose a new duvet cover. That was hard. I figured I'd find something on clearance and sew two flat sheets together to make a new Spring cover to rotate with my navy blue cover, but the pickin's were slim. But I did find this:
Does it seem like a lot of brown? Too brown for spring/summer? I figure I can add some fun, bright accent pillows and totally change the look of my room. But here's the catch: I'm a sheet snob. It's true. I only like Egyptian Cotton 400+ thread count sheets. Unfortunately something that nice in a duvet will run me at least $70, if not more. So I settled for this set that's 220 count. I bought it yesterday and last night as I was laying in bed dreaming about the new decorating, I just imagined this new duvet cover about as soft as a burlap sack next to my face.

So that's what I'm working on right now. I'm all done except for the our two night stands. I'll post pictures when I get it all put back together tomorrow.

UPDATE: Painting and children DO NOT mix well. I thought it would be fun to have Andy help with the nightstands. Oh, was I mistaken. I had Josh screaming on a blanket off to the side of us, Andy running around with the screwdriver and paint roller, as I'm frantically trying to finish the night stands before the neighbors call Child Services. Andy ended up being sent to his room for not being helpful. So much for my fun family activity.

6 comments:

Brenny said...

They look good. I can't wait for the final product. So, I didn't find a flat sheet in the color you asked, but I did find the fitted sheet. 400 count egyptian cotton for under $10 bucks. Do you want me to go back and get it?

Brenny said...

And all that talk of 'accent' pillows made me think of HGTV. Too fun!

Ashley said...

Oooh can't wait to see the results! TJ Maxx always has nice sheets/bedding on the cheap.

LKC said...

Wow, You're brave. I've been wanting to paint our walls because they're pink and orange, but I've been too scared that Owen will be too in the way.

stephanie said...

I am empressed by your paint job, i am horrible at painting! I think that you can have a lot of fun with that comforter!

Peay Family said...

I can't wait to see pictures of the finished project!!