Saturday, October 6, 2007

General Conference Weekend

One of the most wonderful things about listening to October General Conference is making pumpkin cookies. I usually try and keep the recipe under wraps, but I feel like it's time to share the goodness with more of the world. It's time to share my internationally known cookie recipe (it went to Iraq) with our friends in Mother Russia. Lindsey, this is for you. I hope you can find Libby's pumpkin in Russia!



Jacqui's Pumpkin Cookies--an October Tradition

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin (I only use Libby's Pumpkin--no other pumpkin turns out as nice of cookies)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 bag chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream shortening and sugar. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Mix well. Sift together remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips) and mix with pumpkin mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and drop teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes. DON'T OVER BAKE!

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh yes I have very cozy memories of these. I made pumpkin chocolate chip bread today in memory of your cookies.

Jacqui said...

I'm so glad! Did the bread have cream cheese frosting? Pumpkin and cream cheese frosting go hand in hand

Brenny said...

I'm still jealous that I missed chicken divan... Please let me know about this weekend!

Ashley Preston said...

I have already bought the ingredients. I can't wait to make them! These are the best!!

Jacqui said...

Don't forget mom's homemade bread, Brenny, and pumpkin cookies and hamburger soup. Mmmmm...

LKC said...

Yea! Yes, I can get libby's pumpkin-- only in the really big cans though (I'm sure these cookies will end up costing me over $40 to make, but it will be well worth it.)

LKC said...

I don't know if I can get shortening though. Will butter work?

LKC said...

And I was the one to vote for Hawaii. That would be awesome and I would visit you every year.

Jacqui said...

Lindsey, Brenny said that she used margarine and it worked just fine. Hopefully they won't be $40 cookies!

Kelly said...

I am so glad you posted this! I was just about to email you for the recipe. These cookies are some of my fondest fall memories. YUM!