Sunday, March 29, 2009

Don't be mad, Dad!

What's the old saying? It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission?

While Kyle was here, we enlisted his help on a project. Here's the photo journal of it all since pictures will tell a much better story than I could... You would be proud, Dad Rencher and Dad Webb, at how great these boys did! My heart bursts with pride! and there were no injuries or fires! We no longer have to light our room with a single halogen lamp in the corner, but have this beauty on the ceiling illuminating the entire space. HEAVEN! One of the best parts is that we found the light/fan at Home Depot one random trip. It was a display fan, so it was completely assembled and drastically discounted. The entire project cost less that $50 (not including labor, but they only required Oreo milkshakes).

My original intention was to paint the fan blades to match the wood in my room. What do you think? Should I leave them white or paint them brown to match the furniture? (The blades are reversible, so I could do both if I decide I don't like one or the other). Opinions?

While the big boys played around with the electrical wiring, Jen and I kept busy doing dishes. What? It amazes me the quantity of dishes that accumulate when there are twice the number of people in the house. Fortunately, Jen's one of my most favorite people to talk to, so dishes weren't so cumbersome with the good conversation.

On a side note, the fun continued with the cousins. Andy and Kameron were the best of friends. It was so great to see Andy interact with such a close peer who's a boy (most of his friends are girls). Everything was superheros, doctors sawing off stuffed animals legs, swords, sledding or just general running after each other.

Joshy and Jaydee didn't really click until the last few days, but they really played cute together too.



I don't fancy myself a photog like Robin or Warnick, but I think some of these shots of the spring flowers turned out great. I don't generally buy flowers (nor does Kraig buy them for me because they die), but I bought this bouquet to spruce up my home before our surprise visitors came. They were one big beautiful bunch that I broke down into three smaller arrangements. I love the colors.



18 comments:

Erika said...

Love the cousins with their legs sticking through the railings. I can't wait till my kids have cousins!

Nice job on the fan Mr. Webb! Don't paint it. Ceiling fans are not features they are meant to provide much needed air circulation whilst disappearing into the ceiling.

I love the pics, especially of the gerbera daisies. You should blow them up into 8x10s then do a grouping of 9. I love big flowers!

LKC said...

Wow! Well done, boys.

DON'T paint it. Ceililng fans should blend with the ceiling.

Obi said...

The flowers are beautiful! I think you are a great photographer!!!

Kelli said...

The fan and the flowers look great! Good work! I also love the cousin pic with legs dangling! Cousins are the best!

Christy said...

Great job!!
I'm a fan (haha, no pun intended) of leaving the fan white - if you paint it dark it will darken up your room. As it is, it's neutral and doesn't attract the eye where the eye wasn't meant to go (the ceiling).
LOL, you are much too kind to my photoshopping... :) I LOVE the closeups you got of the flowers - they look fantastic and the color is gorgeous! My favorite is the single orange Lily! It just looks so delicate. Nice!

Brenny said...

The fan looks great! I'm going to agree with everyone else -- don't paint the fan. Right now it matches the shutters. I'm so glad Kraig and Kyle could do it together.

The kid pictures are fun, too. I'm glad Andy and Josh had a nice time with cousins, and that you had a chance to spend some time with a good friend/sister-in-law.

The pictures are great. I like Erica's idea for blowing them up. can you get the time stamp off?

Jacqui said...

Ooo! curse the time stamp!

Helen said...

Can't wait to see the fan in person. I am sure your dad will love it, too. Great job! How do you get the time stamp off pictures? Your flowers did look lovely and the photographs show them off nicely!

Jon and Diana said...

I love the picture of the big guys all tangled up, and your little guys are so handsome!

Robin Fisher said...

Great photos, Jacq!
And keep the fan blades white. If you want to have the fan "match" your room even more, look for some trendy glass covers in the lighting section. Hummm, I don't know how to get the time stamp off. Maybe you could crop it out?

Ashley said...

I love that you have an overhead light now. I despise not having them in my house, but I don't think we are allowed to take matters into our own hands. I am jealous!!! And I want an Oreo shake!

Christy said...

Send me the photos and I'll take out the time stamps.

erinka said...

Okay, just in case you wanted to paint the blades, here's a reason. Your bed is a big focal point in the room. Painting the blades brings the eye along perspective lines to the bed. It works better in "The Last Supper" and such, but now you have a reason. I like the painted blades. So how did they get the wires to the hole in the ceiling? Do they hire out? Our children's bedroom ceiling fans have been on my list for years!

Please Pass the Green said...

Those flowers are gorgeous and shout that summer's here. False advertising!! Ha ha.:) (It's snowing right now.) And I love how you broke them down into smaller vases.

I'm very impressed with the fan work and that you got to break ceiling ground for it.:) You guys are amazing! I agree with the white too. Either white or lime green.

Chadlee said...

Those really are good pictures! So lovely of the flowers. I love the pictures of all the kids on the couch. So cute!

stephanie said...

I love the pictures! Also way to go getting that light up, you are my insperation on house projects. I think you guys need to move back east!!

Ashley Preston said...

You guys are busy! Super home improvements, fabulous cousin fun and spring time flowers! I love these updates.

elise said...

Long time reader, first time commenter... I love the pics you took of those gorgeous flowers! Would you be interested in and willing to let me make a large print of one or more of them? I have a room that is just dying to have splashes of orange flowers adorn the walls! I am not confident enough with my photography talents to pull this off myself!!!