Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Check! or rather, Electonic Transfer!

It's done! I finished our taxes this afternoon. Somehow I've stepped into the tax preparer roll in our family. Here's how the first 3.5 months of each new year usually play out:


  • January 1 I recognize that with the new year comes more taxes. I tell myself I'll think about it when I start getting our tax documents in the mail. I also promise myself I won't put off filing until the last moment.



  • The Important Tax Document Enclosed mail starts arriving

  • The burden sits in the back of my mind from January 1 until I will myself to sort out the tax mail (that been thrown into a "look at this tax stuff later" pile)


  • While cleaning off my desk before having guests over (I usually just pull down the roll top), I sort through the pile, remove envelopes, and itemize which of my mutual fund 1099-DIVs didn't get mailed. For some reason, I'm always missing at least one. This year I didn't receive two separate forms.


  • A few days (weeks) later I track down the phone numbers for the offending companies and make some calls requesting duplicates

  • I see the newsprint tax forms lining a table at the library, reminding me again that I haven't started my taxes and I wonder, "Who uses the paper copies anymore?" (take the survey!)


  • Kraig asks when I'm going to do the taxes, helping me remember to get started. He offers to take the children out for the morning while I start taxing away. Two hours later, I'm done! Yahoo!

Finishing up taxes this early in March is a record for me. I feel that a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders and my mind has been calmed from one of the persistent, nagging, worries that keeps me up at night.
I hope your taxes go as smoothly as ours did this year! And for Pete's sake, come visit us with your tax return money :)

So, Uncle Sam, until next year!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

Yay Turbo Tax! I LOVE that feeling when I am done! Such a relief! Congrats on being done!

Erika said...

Good job! I have used TurboTax since 2000. It's easy and catched things I wouldn't have even thought about!

Robin Fisher said...

AAAAHHHH, don't remind me. Now that we are mostly out of boxes, I know Mike is going to start hinting at it.
BTW, I LOVE the photos of the kids. Can I get a copy of Andy and Amanda?

SnellieFam said...

Congratulations! Ours afre done too. Doesn't it feel good?

Christy said...

Congrats! I usually wait until the beginning of April to do mine, but I got all worried and ended up doing mine about three weeks ago. It was SUCH a relief to finish them! Especially when I got the good news (I was actually getting money back! Woo!) PS - I e-filed with direct deposit into my account and I had the federal money in my account within 10 days! It was amazing.

Now if only I could get my California return money. We'll be lucky if we EVER get our return money from this year. Right now we're being issued "IOUs." How stupid is that?

Jacqui said...

I heard about those California IOU's. That's nuts. Hopefully you're not out too much because I doubt you'll see that money.

Brenny said...

Congrats on finishing!

Christy said...

Yah, I think you're right. We're getting the shaft big time. I'm out $500. Totally sucky.
My co-worker was hilarious - he was REALLY mad when he found out and said - "that's ridiculous. It's not like when we're behind on our budget we can just call up our debtors and say 'I'm outta money, can I send you an IOU'"?
Sheesh.

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.