
Andy's 3rd birthday is coming up in 3 weeks. I'm on the hunt for good ideas. Here are the parameters:
- Can be put together for $20 or less
- Is theme suitable for both boys and girls
- Creative and engaging for a bunch of 3-4 year olds
- Won't take longer than 75 minutes, start of finish
- Indoor friendly--I can't count on good outside weather
- Knights/Princesses Theme. My sister-in-law Jen did this for my nephew and it was a hit (They don't live by us so none of the same kids will be attending). The kids had to do certain challenges to prove their bravery, strength, etc. and earn their crowns (from BK) and swords (made of cardboard) and fight off the dragon. Jen made a darling dragon cake. I'm not sure I'm that creative, but I'm sure I could come up with something similar. I'm heavily leaning towards this party.
Candyland. Andy loves the Candyland game. I've found some Candyland party ideas online, but they're all girl parties. This is what I picture: Life size game board (made out of construction paper) tracing around the interior of the house. Kids play the game to rescue King Candy--and get their treat bags. My only beef with this is that it's more candy and we just finished Halloween (although this would be a good way to recycle what we have left over...). I've tossed around some VegetableLand game ideas, but is that a little too over the top?

Hawaiian Theme. I must be totally aching for warm weather today because when I saw this idea I couldn't help but entertain it. Every kid is told to wear summer clothes/Hawaiian clothes. I'll crank the heat up in the house and turn on some Hawaiian music. The guests get some plastic leis when they arrive and we play silly carnival games. Ideas of creative, inexpensive carnival games? We eat fruit as a snack and the cake looks something like this:


What other cute ideas have you seen or are you planning on doing for your kids (if you live far away from me and I wouldn't be stealing your idea...).
10 comments:
All of those ideas sound great to me! That's a tough choice, I would probably go with the one that seems the easiest, at least during the party, so you don't have to be running around doing stuff the whole time and making sure the little guests are entertained, ie not fighting, crying, or screaming. Also, for the palm tree leaves - it looks like you could use those green air heads? Maybe? Good luck! Can't wait to have my first "friends party"
Ooo! Green Airhead! What a great idea! Thanks, Lisa!
I like the Knights/princess theme, but what would you expect from me? pin the tail on the dragon, might be fun. I can see the sword thing getting out of control really quick :)
I vote for the easiest. I think I would go with the prince theme. That seems like the easiest way to have lots of games to keep the kids distracted.
All are such great ideas! sorry, I'm no help, except that we all could use Hawaii in our lives...
Uh, yah, I'm just SO not tuned into the whole kids birthday party scene... sorry, BUT, I do remember doing the funnest activity ever once at a party - we made Rice Krispie treat animals! We mixed up huge amounts of Rice Krispies and turned them into bunnies and teddy bears, etc (you double the butter in the recipe so they're softer)... then top with sprinkles, the candy decorating chocolate in squeeze bottles, etc... Its SO fun! If I were to babysit (which I'm not, at least until Kelly has some kids), I'd totally do that with the little kidlets.
Parents.com- search birthday, they have fun backyard carnival ideas that you could easily move inside, with fun games, or a pajama party. They also have cake or treat ideas. Maybe the carnival is a bit much, but the pajama party could be cheap and super simple!
Do. Not. Do. Veggieland. You will become one of those weirdo moms that goes down in infamy in the neighborhood! Anything else sounds like a great time!
Fun ideas. One of my favorites is a pirate party. What does Andy want? My kids were always pretty insistent on an idea. Can't wait to see what you end up doing-have fun!
ps-I agree with Robin. A bunch of kiddos with swords might be fun for about 30 seconds-then watch out!
Those are some fun ideas! Maybe you can have a "Zoo or circus" theme and have animal plates to serve Andy's favorite animal or clown cake or cupcakes with sugar cones as thier hats. Also,you could make fun masks or head bans of the animal they want to be(cut out ears for bunny, bear, tiger etc) For the sack of treats, you could have peanuts(circus) and animal cracker boxes or the animal fruitsnacks.
Post a Comment