Monday, October 6, 2008

Harvest Report: Part 1

Wow. This is a lot of produce. Here's a brief list of what I've done with it so far:
  1. Eat corn. Lots of it.

  2. Give away corn. Lots of it.

  3. Dry corn to make Corn nuts. mmm!

  4. Potato Leek Soup. DELICIOUS! I used half and half instead of heavy cream and one of my red potatoes instead of a Yukon gold. Mmm! Try it!

  5. Give away potatoes. It's surprising how many people have never seen a purple potato before.

  6. Ginger Curry Chicken with Lentils and Leeks. Also good. The kids loved it and ate two helpings. I used some more of my leeks and some of my cabbage.

  7. Indian corn door decoration. I think Indian corn is a testament of the Majesty of God. How did He get the colors to do that? Wow! It's like tie dyed corn kernels.

  8. Bottle tomatoes with a friend who wanted to learn

  9. French Onion Soup x2. I love french onion soup. It's probably in my top 5 of favorite soups ever. I'd like to thank Jeanne Kay and Red Robin for making me a fan. It's so easy and so delicious. Here's my recipe: 3 large onions, sliced. Soften onions in 3 T butter in a large sauce pan. Add 2 T flour and 1T sugar. Stir. Pour in at least 6 cups beef stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until onions are soft, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, slice french bread and lightly toast. Portion soup out into oven-proof bowls. Top with a slice of toasted bread and a slice of cheese (provolone, Swiss, mozzarella, or any combination you love--we've even done cheddar before and it wasn't bad). Broil in hot oven until cheese is melty and bubbly. Enjoy!

Stay tuned for the next installment of my Harvest Report. It will definitely include more potato recipes and processed green beans. Oh and I'm completely open to recipe submissions for carrots, potatoes, squash, peppers (my sister's making some banana pepper jelly for me), green beans, and cabbage.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I am speechless! You are one amazing woman! Thanks for the recipe for the French Onion Soup. yummy!

Robin Fisher said...

The best part of Jacqui's onion soup recipe is that it is SOOOOO easy, but the WOW factor is priceless!

Brenny said...

I'm still amazed at how much you harvested. Thanks again for the squash and purple potatoes last night -- they were super yummy!

Ashley said...

That indian corn really is beautiful.

Sometime you should give a canning/bottling tutorial.

Jon and Diana said...

I don't have a great recipe... but if I had a lot of cabbage I would make veggi egg roles. I did it once with a room mate, shredded cabbage, carrots and other stuff. fry in that wrap thing (easy to find) and dip in home made sweet and sour sauce. Delicious! suerte!