All of my free time this week has been dedicated to the Quiet Book. I must admit that I've become somewhat of a woman possessed. Everything I see becomes an idea for the quiet book.
I started off with something a little more simple--pages made of felt, but I decided if I was going to spend the time on this book, it needs to last through ALL of my children. Felt would definitely not last. So I switched the page material from felt to a heavy woven cotton. It's not quite a denim, but it's heavier than a khaki. I chose charcoal because it was on sale :) and because it seemed like a soothing color. I haven't done the front cover yet, but these are the 9 pages I DO have done:
ZIP--this will be on the back side of the front cover. One zips up, the other zips down. I didn't center it well on the scanner, but you get the idea.

MATCH--each of the shapes comes off; he'll have to match it back to the shape drawn on the cloth.

LACE--there's no shoelace yet, but this will lace up and have a bow. It's supposed to mimic lacing up and tying a shoe. My mother just happened to have an eyelet making tool AND all the eyelets in her craft room. Perfect!

BUTTON--each button is attached to a flap so that Andy (or whichever child) can lift and move it around to get each button attached. I did a small button on a light cotton to mimic buttoning his Sunday shirt.

SNAP--this little pocket has a small snap at the peak of the flap and will have a few foam balls inside that he can count or sort.

ALPHABET--pretty self explanatory

SEW--I need another shoelace here too. It's only attached to the backing at the top, so he can lift it and sew from both sides.

COUNT--also self explanatory

BUCKLE--I was going to do two sets of "D" clips (I found them for FREE in my mom's craft room), but Kraig suggested that I do a parachute clip, since those are the kinds of buckles on the grocery carts, strollers and booster seat.
So that's all I have right now. I hope to add a page with ribbons to braid and maybe something with photos/pictures like was suggested by Trish (Thanks, Trish!). Still a work in progress. I'll keep you posted.
PS--I love my scanner!
8 comments:
Very cute, Jacq! Does your machine embroider? We should do another sewing day -- we need to start on those spring skirts.
I LOVE IT! You are awesome.
The book is really cute jacqui! The boys are going to love it. Emma is lucky to have a crayon to use during church anymore, I hardly ever bring a bag anymore.
No, Robin's the one with the Embroider machine. I can do letters and numbers, but they're VERY basic. All of the lettering in the book are foam letters from the craft aisle in Wal-mart. They were self adhesive but didn't stick to the fabric, so I superglued them on :)
you're so creative! it's very cool. all the kids in sacrament meeting will be jealous and want to sit on the Webb's row.:)
I was always jealous of the people sitting in front of us growing up when their kids had a quiet book. That's what probably accelerated my drive to make/have one.
That is so incredibly cute and creative. I want one and I am very, very impressed!
I remember that my quiet book had a page with different textures. There was soft (fake fur) and shiny (a mirror) etc. I can't believe how great yours is turning out. You are a pro!!
Post a Comment