I'm dedicating my free time this week to making a quiet book for the boys for sacrament meeting on Sundays. It's going to be full of fun 'little hands' activities to keep them occupied. I looked at a few different places (Deseret Book and Wal-mart) to see if there were something suitable--something pre-made or a pattern I could follow--and I was grossly disappointed. Everything was super cheezy or super cutesy, neither of which excited me for my boys. It was probably so disappointing because I already had ideas floating around my head of what activities I pictured the book to have. When I put my ideas down on paper this is what I came up with:


After I put my ideas down I realized that it was definitely something that I could do. My vision is that each activity page will help the boys a develop fine motor skill (zip, button, lace, buckle, Velcro, sew, snap, braid, feel) or refine a cognitive function (matching shapes, learning the alphabet and numbers, colors, etc). I'm really excited.
Does anyone have suggestions for other fun pages? Or tips from a book you've made?
10 comments:
I love that! I have my eye on one at Pottery Barn Kids that is so cute and yours reminds me of it. There is a page to button, one to lace, one to buckle, on to zap, etc. I wish I was as crafty as you, but I will probably end up paying the $24 to buy that one!
Well, $24 isn't bad. I'm using a lot of leftovers from my mom's craft room, but I bet I've spent around $20 already on material. The cheezy ones from Deseret book were $20 and they expected you to cut and sew on top of that. Pottery Barn, eh? Do you think I could find it online to get ideas?
Make one for me while you're at it. I'll pay you. Seriously.
I love your idea. Jon's mom still has the one that Jon's grandma made for him 22 years ago, but its falling apart. Most of those same things I think. I guess my only suggestion would be to put a picture of Jesus and the temple for the santa sena; or incorporate church into zippers???
My crafty sister! I've always loved those and wish we had had one growing up. I'm so excited to see the finished product!
What? Put Jesus on there? Actually that's a good idea.
My sister-in-law made these little quiet books for my kids for Christmas. They're not cloth, but one thing she did that you might be able to use was put a picture of each child (maybe in a plastic pocket or something) and then "I am a Child of God" under it. Not super interactive, but my kids love to find their picture in their books. I'm Brenda's sis-in-law in case you didn't know. :o)
I have another one maybe you could do a Noah's ark that zipped open and then have animal finger puppets inside. Hmm...maybe I should do one myself. :o) Good luck with your project.
Ooo! I love the picture idea. Maybe that will be the front cover--a photo of Andrew and Joshua. But I was hoping that this could carry me through ALL my children, so maybe I don't want it to be so 'child specific.' Hmmm Something to think about. Thanks for the IDEA!
I have so been thinking about this kind of thing lately. Our church "toys" are lacking in excitement to say the least. Thanks for sharing your vision. I so am going to copy you and make one too. Let me know what you are going to do the actual "pages" out of. Felt?
Post a Comment