Thursday, December 11, 2008

To Surprise or not to Surprise

I don't like surprises. I like knowing exactly what's going to happen ahead of time. I like to know what Kraig's planned on date night. I like to know what I'm eating beforehand when I go to someones home. Christmas and birthday gifts are no exceptions. It causes me stress to not know what I'm getting. And I don't think it's just curiosity that drives my obsession. It's a physical response: my pulse rate increases, I can't focus on anything but the 'surprise,' and I try every means of coercion to make the with-holder of the information break.

How about you? Like 'em? or hate 'em?

14 comments:

Helen said...

I am still not going to tell you what will be under the Christmas tree for you and Kraig.

Erika said...

I love surprises but I usually ruin them because I am a good gift-guesser. I don't however like to open presents in front of people because I worry that my reactions betray me!

I made your present this year and you only have to wait till next Wed. to get it, so deal with it!

Nelly said...

I like surprises (if I end up being pleasantly surprised! ;) The b-day party looks like so much fun! Poor Andy, staples?! Ouch! Hope you have a great Christmas!

Christy said...

I'm totally NOT a fan! I like to plan ahead and be the prepared person... you know, with the band-aids, flashlights, screwdrivers, etc... That said, I'm more than happy to be surprised if I'm given guidelines (like what to wear, bring...). As for surprise gifts - the only surprises I like are ones I asked for. :)

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin Fisher said...

I love surprises, but I want to know RIGHT now. I am lousy at keeping my surprises because I love seeing people excited and happy. I wish I could help you. By the way, I know what you are getting from Mom and Pop. :)

Baby's got blue eyes said...

I love to be surprised. I hated having to do the christmas dress shopping with dad, because then I knew what I was getting. I know pain for people who buy for me, but know I will always love anything I am surprised with.

Baby's got blue eyes said...

Let me restate my last comment- I always loved the christmas dress dad bought I just wished it could have been a surprise :)

Please Pass the Green said...

Oh you do crack me up, Jacq! I had no idea you had this very serious complex. Now I'm trying to think back to anything I ever tried to surprise you with. Vacuuming your jeep? :)

I love surprises as long as they don't involve me having to perform in front of crowds of people. For me it takes the fun out of the gift when I already know what it is. One year my brother and I decided to tell each other what we got each other. Then on Christmas morning I was all concerned about how I was supposed to react when I opened Brad's gift. I'm not a very good actor, and I was worried my parents would find out we'd told each other if I didn't look surprised or excited about the gift, like it was a serious crime to tell each other. Ha ha!

A. said...

I like surprises. And practical gifts. They don't logically go together, but that's me!

Jon and Diana said...

I love surprises! I love surprise gifts, dates, giving and recieving!I don't however like being the center of attention during a surprise unless I'm very comfortable around all who are involved. But, I think I'm hard to surprise. Jon and I think so alike sometimes that I can ruin most surprises, which really bums hims out. --On the other hand, I love surprising people, but with Jon, he asks for hints and I sometimes just can't handle it and I want to tell him and he wants to know so bad that I just give little hints until he guesses. Thats so lame!

Kelli said...

I love them! Bring them on. But only the pleasant ones!

Ashley said...

Surprises are great if you don't have to anticipate them. As in, it's Christmas morning and surprise! Here is an extra diamond necklace I bought for you. I can't stand anticipating a surprise though--as in "there will be a surprise for you Christmas morning." Then I will do all in my power to figure it out.

I am a big believer in getting people exactly what they ask for, bc surprises are usually not what they want most.

I also hate surprise parties.

A friend of mine was surprised by Oprah at 8:00 am. She had twin baby boys at the time and was asleep--no make-up, no bra--but was woken up by her husband saying "you've got to come downstairs right now Oprah's here." That was a bad surprise.

Brenny said...

I like surprises, but hate the anticipation. WHAT ARE YOU GETTING US FOR CHRISTMAS! WHY ARE YOU TAUNTING US LIKE THIS?!!