Phew. It's done! Planning a birthday party is tough work. I couldn't decide on one of the themes I presented a few weeks ago, so I did a combination of two of them: Candyland and Castles.
Kraig and I set up a giant Candy Land game board in the house. The object was to get everything the kids needed to protect the Candy Castle from the Chocolate Monster (no veggies here. Thanks for the tip, Kelli) and get the treasure (the goodie bags).
Here are a few pictures:

Welcome to c"ANDY" land

Painting the Chocolate Monster a few nights ago
I wrapped some cereal boxes with tissue and celophane to make candy. They really served no purpose other than they were pretty :)

The games starts on the right at the first red square. To earn their shields, the kids had to show how smart they were by tossing a bean bag into the matching colored bowl (in the back on the right). Then to earn their swords, they had to show how strong they were by knocking down the brick wall.


The game continued down stairs where they had to use their swords and shields to fight the Chocolate Monster and show their bravery. After he was destroyed, they got their crowns.


The Victorious Warriors! and Joshy

After releasing the castle, the kids got to decorate gingerbread man shaped sugar cookies. Mmm! More candy!
All in all, it lasted 75 minutes. Perfect. The kids had fun. We had fun.
I need to note that the Castle idea (getting their swords and crowns and fighting the monster) was an idea from my creative sister-in-law Jen (if she had a blog, I'd add her link right here. Hint, hint). She's the genius behind the plan.
Oh, and I stayed close to my $20 budget. I spent just around $30. Not bad!
Status Update: Andy's head is just fine. He fell off his fire truck Sunday evening around 6:30 and hit his head on the edge between the tile and the carpet in the big room ( you can see where the edge is in some of the pictures). I've never noticed that it was sharp before, but sure enough! Note to self: Head wounds are bloody.
18 comments:
Oh my goodness! That looked like SO much fun. I love the idea and the timing is perfect. Plus, you got a crown and a goodie bag. Brilliant.
Wow, that was AMAZING! I'm not sure my kids will ever get to go to your birthday parties, then they'll have way too high of expectations for their parties. That was really cute, and it looked like the kids had so much fun!
That looks like such a fun party! What a genius idea! I love the cellophane-wrapped boxes, adorable. Feel free to plan Cole's 5th b-day party.
I can pretty much guarantee that I will be coping this in the future. Well done!
Erika, I got the wrapped up cereal box idea from your mom :) Tell her thank you:)
That was SO cute and clever, and I bet the kids thought it was the greatest thing ever. I am all about bday parties where the kids actually have fun. How did you do all that for $30? Wow, I am really impressed, and I might be copying your idea in the future.
Wow, sis. You always amaze me! I loved the whole play on words "cANDY land." Awesome.
You're so creative! I'm impressed you spent so much time putting it all together. It looks like it turned out great. Those cereal box candies are really cute! I'm glad Stella's birthday is in the summer - we can just default to a pool party every year because I'm not that creative!
Congratulations on your first of many parties throughout the years! The idea was darling and I'm sooo glad you shared all the pictures. I wish we could have been there this weekend, instead I have 15 loads of laundry that I'm trying to catch up on... I might have to take it to the laundry mat just to get caught up! I'm considering downsizing the kids clothes drasticly- this is ridiculous!
Wow! What a great idea! It looked darling. I loved the play on words. I think you got my share of the creativity gene (can that go to cousins?)! Well it must have. Great birthday. I hope he remembers it!
That is such a cute idea and the kids look like they had so much fun. Your comment made me laugh. What the OB says is one thing, but at least it's private. I've got so many strange comments at church that I hope I have this kid before Sunday so I don't have to go. :o)
What a creative mom! You did a great job. It was good to talk to you today!
I am always at awe at how talented you and Kraig are. (I had to include him if he helped, I don't want him to be mad that no one said good job to him too. If he didn't, extra awes from the Von group). I too loved the idea on the "Andy" in the it. What a fun party and I want to know how you have all that time to do the 102 things you always have going on! Can I have some of that time?
We love you all and glad Andy had a great bithday!
The pary looked great-I can't believe we both had parties the same day at the same time! You're so creative! What a lucky boy Andy is to have you as his mom.
AWESOME!
Jacqui-
you are brilliant! thanks for the note of reference, but you deserve every bit of it. wow-that was an amazing feet you did and incredibly creative. so cute! good job! i am glad that Andy is doing better.
Great party! And your house looked so clean! Even when you were painting the chocolate monster - after you'd already dusted and laid out fresh linens, I bet. Will you be my mom? You're awesome, Jacqui.
Oh my goodness. I think I am going to give you an award. (I'm telling you now so that there are no surprises.) How fun!!!
Post a Comment