Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Provident Living

A few weeks ago Kraig and I checked out War of the Worlds from the library.
Not a movie I'm recommending to anyone. It was slow and awful and we turned it off after 45 minutes. There was one part where things are starting to go wrong and Tom Cruise tells his son to gather all the food from the kitchen and his daughter to get her wheely suitcase full of clothes because they are leaving the house (they're under attack). The son comes back with a cardboard box full of condiments--the only thing in their bachelor father's fridge. Definitely not prepared for the emergency.
So it got me thinking. Worrying, actually, that I'd be caught in some emergency without being prepared. Kraig and I have 72 Hour kits, but it's been years since we rotated the food. Long enough, in fact, that I didn't have anything prepared for Andrew or Joshua should the need arise.
Last week I started scouring the stores for deals and ideas. Kraig and I found matching wheely backpacks at the Thrift Store for $5 each. These are good upgrades from our other bags because with the wheels, Andy can pull one of our bags behind him while we carry a child (or something else). I got this idea from my sister Cory. She was the dear that gave me my complete 72-hour kit in the first place. She also gave Mom and Dad and Brenda and Darren theirs for Christmas one year.
So last Saturday my mom and dad came over and we all rotated the food, looked at the other needs for our kits and changed things to fit our specific needs. I prepared a kit for Andy and Joshy too.

I feel better now. I can sleep with more peace of mind knowing I have things together in case of an emergency.

6 comments:

Brenny said...

It is a good idea. Thanks for getting stuff for us, too! We need to get water, but other than that we are set.

Brenny said...

I haven't seen War of the Worlds yet. I'm boycotting Tom Cruise...

Jacqui said...

I had water sitting right next to your things that I was supposed to give you. Sorry. I'll bring it on Sunday

Jon and Diana said...

Jon and I keep our kits in our seperate cars. Is that a good idea? I figure if we were ever caught at home we'd have food, but not in the car. Where do you keep your kits?

Jacqui said...

Right now they're in my family room :) But I think I'm going to end up putting them in my closet in my bedroom.

stephanie said...

We just went through are 72 hr kits, brian was laughing at the stuff i had in them, "we dont need five first aid kits steph" Needless to say they are a lot lighter now! the wheel backpacks are a great idea, I made cami wear hers so that I could see if it would be to heavy for her. I will have to look for wheelbag packs!