Saturday, June 30, 2007

Those of you with weak constitutions...

WARNING: If you get grossed out by blood and gore, you might want to skip this post.

Yesterday when I got home from a little friend's birthday party with Andy and I called Kraig and his co-worker answered the phone. What? Brenda? Why are you answering the phone?

Here's how the conversation went:

Brenda: Hi, uh, Jacqui. Uh. Kraig's right here; he's a little busy.
Jacqui: What's he doing? Are they moving the showroom?
Brenda: Uh, not exactly. Uh. Are you sitting down? There's been a little accident...
Jacq: What??!!? What happened? Is he ok?
Brenda: Are you sitting down? He's doing fine. We're here at the emergency room, he's getting stitches...
Jacq: What happened? Do I need to come down there?
Brenda: (aside) Do you want her to come down? No, you don't need to come down. We're almost done here and then I'll send him home early. Don't worry, he's doing fine.

And then she hung up. That's it. That's all I got. I sat down with Andy to pass the time until he got home and after an hour with no word, I finally called again. He was back at work doing paperwork, so I loaded Andy in the car and went to pick him up. I should have taken a picture of how bloody he was, but here's the gist of what happened (this is the yucky blood and gore picture, so just skip it if you're not interested)
They're are remodeling the show room and Kraig was moving a dishwasher. He didn't have a good grip on it when his partner was pulling it off the shelf, it started to fall and he tried to catch it, slicing his fingers to the tendons. Ewww. They tell me he was squirting blood everywhere (he must have severed a vein too...)
So 13 stitches later, he's back at work today. His fingers are bandaged up so he doesn't snag the stitches. Of course it's on his right hand, so he can't type, write, tie his shoes, cut his pancakes :) But he's doing well.
Considering Kraig's track record for trips to the Emergency and Life Flight rides, I'm grateful for how easy I got off on his 'first accident' since we've been married.

3 comments:

LKC said...

I have to say that it is worse than I was expecting. I'm glad he's okay though. Hopefully, he'll be healed up enough by next weekend to change some dirty diapers :)

Brenny said...

I'm glad he is okay. I had Darren read about the incident also and he asked about Kraig being life flighted again. Seriously, I've told him 12 times, I'm sure. How long does he have to have the stitches in?

Jacqui said...

I think he'll have the stitches about 10 days.
The life flight stories are pretty good. We don't mind telling them over and over. :)