Saturday, November 28, 2009

Workin' hard for the money

Ok, first thing's first. It wasn't that bad. Yes, I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning baking rolls, but I knew I had a good product, and I was so excited to share them with my friends.
.
Here are a few photos from my Thanksgiving eve to early Thanksgiving morning bake. These are not attractive photos of me. Please keep in mind that it was after midnight (my bedtime is around 9:30) and I'm 7 months pregnant. Really. I'm only uploading these photos for my posterity, not because I'm a fashion model.
.
.
I LOVE MY MIXER. If ever I were to endorse a kitchen appliance, it would be my Kitchenaid Professional 600 Series 6qt mixer. In pewter. I love it. This thing is a machine in every sense of the word. I don't care what all you Bosch owners think. I'll win at a mixing challenge any day.
.
Kraig stayed up to help me. Things were a bit disorganized at first, but he got a great system down for organizing my ingredients for each batch. I couldn't have done what I did without him. Nor could I have done it without my mother keeping my children that night. Thanks, Mom and Kraig, for supporting me!
.
.
Kraig loves this photo. His comment was, "That is one happy Jacqui." Well, I was.
.
.
After the dough had risen the first time, I'd roll it out and roll 'em up.
.
.
The biggest time eater was waiting for the dough and rolls to rise. But thankfully Kraig came up with a perfect solution for me--my very own proofing oven! It was really just an enclosed space heated to 90 degrees with our space heater, but man, that dough would have taken hours to rise in my 66 degree house. In this little baby the time was cut down to a third of what it would have been.
.
.
Kraig took advantage of the proofing oven too. He was asleep in this photo. And don't worry, his feet are no where near the pans of rolls.
.
.
Don't they look beautiful so fresh from the oven. It still makes my mouth water just looking at them. I thought for sure I'd never want to make another batch of rolls again after that night, but I had one more order to fill today and they still tasted just as delicious to me!
.
.
Here's most of them bagged up and ready to deliver Thanksgiving morning.
.
So, all totalled, I had orders for 35 dozen rolls. It was fun, actually. I think I'll do it again...

13 comments:

Helen said...

The rolls were yummy and every one that came to our house has been happily consumed. The homemade raspberry jam made a great addition, too. I would gladly swap my stuffing for your rolls any day. :-)

Ashley said...

This was fun--I've been wondering how on earth you did that. You deserve a serious massage! They look beautiful! And so funny to hear you trash talking about mixers.

stephanie said...

wow you are amazing! I would love to talk to you! SO expect a call from me soon! I hope you guys had a great thanksgiving! (oh those rolls look deliceous

Kelly Job said...

Thanks for all your hard work, they were great

Brenny said...

You guys are awesome. I love the proofing tent Kraig made for you. Like Ashley, I thought the mixer trash talking was awesome!

My sister is such a star. I think you looked great in your pictures!

Christy said...

Hehehe... My Bosch was just replaced with a Cuisinart stand mixer, which I love and adore and feel the need to go home and use! LOL. Acutally, a sister who shall remain nameless (Kelly) left my lovely old Bosch at the halfway house ages back and it disappeared! So sad!
In any case, you're amazing! Those rolls look sooooo yummy. I think you should fedex me some.
:)

La Belle Belge said...

OMG! How did you manage to do that! And you would do it again?!? Please send me some of your energy. You really don't look bad for having had no sleep ;-). And yes your rolls look scrumptious.

Erika said...

I want 5 dozen for Christmas dinner. I am serious. I will pay more. I would also like to order some of your jam please.

You are AMAZING. I really love Kraig in the proofing oven. That is where I would be too! Delicious rolls even with the foot odor.

Chadlee said...

The rolls were great, thank you!

Peay Family said...

I am impressed, when I am pregnant all I want to do is sit on my couch and eat.

A. said...

I had no idea! I should check your blog more often! They look amazing and it is truly incredible that you wanted to bake ever again!

Please Pass the Green said...

Jacqui, alls I have to say is that you are amazing! The whole idea + the space heater is simply brilliant. I wish I lived closer so I could've ordered a dozen too. Did you have to buy more cooling racks, etc., for this project?

erinka said...

Are you taking orders for Easter dinner yet? I'm sorry I missed the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner batches. Way to go!