Friday, November 6, 2009

A longer gestation time than my child

As we were putting our Christmas decorations away last January, Kraig mentioned that he thought it would be nice if our family had matching stockings. The previous 4 Christmases we've just used a mismatched few collected from various locations. I've always wanted to have matching stockings, but never thought Kraig would go for it. When he mentioned it, I didn't hesitate in going out to buy a pattern and the perfect fabric I had always envisioned for our stockings.
.
I started the project in January. First I did the tree skirt. The fabric I bought was two different patterns with a low loft batting machine quilted in between the layers. I had to modify the pattern a bit to fit my "pre-made" fabric, but I was pleased with the results. I even learned to do mitered corners on the binding (there aren't a lot of mitered corners required in clothing construction--most of the sewing I've done to this point)

.
Then I started on the matching stockings. The first Wednesday of every month our Relief Society gathers for our Workshop Wednesday to work on our unfinished projects. I started my stockings there, working once a month at the Workshop. After 10 months (11 months, if you count the time I spent on the tree skirt), I FINALLY finished the project. The other ladies applauded as I cut my last thread. Here are the finished products:
I hand stitched on the white binding, and used my sister's embroidery machine for the names. The hardest part was figuring out how to attach the stocking to the cuff since I had altered the pattern. But I'm SO pleased with the results and I finished them not a moment too soon.
.
Oh, and don't worry. I made 4 additional small stockings that just need a name added for any additional children and/or daughters-in-law that will join our family.
.
Check this unfinished "baby" off my list!

14 comments:

Trish said...

Nice work! Good thinking about the extra's too. I made some a couple years ago and Bryant's might not be done until next year. It's just hard to get excited about making another stocking when I feel like I already "finished" that project. :o)

Brenny said...

They look great! I would totally be interested in making some, but I don't know if it will happen for this year's Christmas. I have a bit much on my plate as it is...

Ashley said...

Incredible! I did a little sewing project this week but now I am too shamed by this to post it. They look great!

Peay Family said...

Those are awesome!! Can I hire you to make me some?

SnellieFam said...

They look great! A fantastic accomplishment!

Robin Fisher said...

As soon as you decide on a name for the baby, we can get started. Should I bring my machine at Christmas.

Bryce and Karlene said...

Those are so cute. You are truly amazing with all the talents you have. I love the different the different patterns you mixed to make these. I love them. Hope all is going good and glad to hear that you baby is growing good. We love you all!

Jon and Diana said...

Once again I am wishing I lived closer to you so that we could work on unfinished projects together. The stockings and tree skirt look great. I'm glad you have extras. That a girl!!! And, just wondering... what kind of stocking stuffers do you give?

Christy said...

Those are fantastic! I love them! Your sewing skills absolutely kill me. And your planning, preparedness and mothering skills. I know I've told you before, but Jacqui Rencher, you're my hero.
;)

Kelli said...

You are amazing! Those look great. Someday, probably right in time for my kids to be grown and gone, I will have matching stockings. I will. Someday. Do you want my name for Christmas? Oh, did I mention we were starting a cousin gift exchange?

Ashley Preston said...

I am soooo impressed! You're awesome Jacqui! I am asking for a sewing machine for Christmas, but I'm quite sure my projects will not be to your standard for a long time to come!!!

La Belle Belge said...

Awesome job! I need to take lessons from you on how to be the perfect little homemaker with all your delicious cooking, your canning, home made stocking, etc. etc. etc. One day...

Erika said...

You are so brilliant. I am always amazed by you Jacqui, you are one talented lady!

Chadlee said...

Those are so cute Jacqui! Congrats on finishing a project. It's such an accomplishment when you have little kids, isn't it?