Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bon Jovi Really Got it Right

After you see these photos, you'll understand how my family and I are really "Livin' on a Prayer."

Monday night Kraig, the kids, and I were coming home from dinner with my parents and brother when we were in an accident. It was caused by a 16 year old girl driving a sooped-up Jeep who was "checking the clock" (translation: texting). We were stopped at a stop light in a long line of cars, the car behind us (a Honda Prelude) was stopped also when the Texter rammed into the Prelude. There were no skid marks on the road, so my assumption is that Texter didn't slow down at all. Here are some photos of that poor car. The young man driving it was ok, thankfully.




That wasn't our car. We were driving my parents Acura. It fared a little better when the Prelude rammed into us. We, in turn, hit the Accord in front of us, who hit the car in front of her, who hit the Nissan in front of them. Total was 6 cars, plus the motorcyclist who was behind the Texter in her Jeep and was probably following a little too close, but had to brake hard and ended up laying his bike down.

When the Texter hit the Prelude the Jeep flipped and she ended up inches from Joshua on the driver's side of our car. Some how she flipped the car so it landed on the her driver's side, facing the wrong way in traffic. Pretty scary. She crawled out of the car through the passenger door. Her car hardly looks scratched:
After Kraig checked the boys and me to make sure we were ok, he got out to help the others. I called 911 and by the time the call ended I was getting hysterical, but the boys had calmed down thankfully. I called my parents who were just a few miles in the opposite direction heading home after dinner. They came back to where we were in time to see the firemen and paramedics put a neck brace on me and lift me from the car on a back board. The kids and I hadn't gotten out of the car, but when they found out I was 21 weeks pregnant they decided to not take any chances. They loaded me in the ambulance and took me to the ER. Kraig rode along with me, so it was so wonderful that my parents had come to gather the kids and get them home.

Andy and Joshy thought the flashing lights and all the firemen and police officers were pretty cool. They were even evaluated by a firewoman, each giving his own account of if they were hurt or not. Joshua told her he'd hit his head on the ceiling :)


I spent 4 hours at the ER (mostly just laying down letting my BP return to normal). They did an ultrasound on the baby, listened to his heartbeat, and pronounced me fit to return home. I have a follow-up with my OB later this week.

Besides being sore, I've got an ugly scab forming on my forehead from where I hit my head on the ceiling. Kraig's pretty sore too, but I think we're both on the mend.

One of the hardest parts of this whole accident is thinking about the "what ifs" and the "It almost happened this way." This is definitely one of those instances where I am so grateful the prayers were answered that we didn't even know we needed to offer. My family and my baby are all ok and I have the Lord and his angels to thank for it.

13 comments:

Bryce and Karlene said...

We are SO thankful that you are all O.K. How scary that that happened to you and how fast it seems to go. Sorry about your head Jacqui. It looks sore. How grateful we are for seatbelts(huh). Sure do love you all and thankful that you are all fine.

Helen said...

We love you and are so grateful you are all okay as well as the other people who were involved in the accident. There were definitely guardian angels with you Monday night.

SnellieFam said...

oh my gosh! You should have called! How can I help?! I was in a bad accident when I was pregnant with Jake, and it totally freaked me out! I am so glad you are all ok. Please let me know how I can help!

Kelli said...

Wow that girl did some real damage. I am glad you and your family are all ok. I was in accident when I was pregnant with Josh and I got to take a trip to the ER also. What exciting times. I hope the boys are having fun telling of their great adventure.

Ashley said...

I would have been so freaked out having kids in the car. I'm so glad they were okay. I can't believe how smashed up that prelude was. Thank goodness he was behind you and alone in the car. This is so scary. The one time I got hit hard in a car and the ambulance came I was hysterical too. That is just such a scary and shocking situation. Thank goodness you are okay and I hope it's not too much trouble with your car situation now.

Christy said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Okay Rencher... WOW. Those pictures are horrific. You guys have been so blessed... I'm so glad you're all okay.
I hope the insurance aftermath isn't too much of a nightmare and the texter ends up liable for all the damages!
Ugh, I'm just shaking after reading that. Phew.

Kkelly said...

A picture is worth a thousand words. I can't believe the accident you were in, that was awful! What a pileup. Amazing that the young man driving the prelude was ok, his car is smashed in every possible way. Thank goodness you all are alright. Moments like that make you step back and think, don't they?

Please Pass the Green said...

So glad you guys were safe. Love you. Boo to texting while driving.

Brenny said...

Yikes! That Prelude is crunched. I had imagined the Acura to be about as bad, but it isn't. Just a little bent. Although it does look like it is bent in some pretty important places... I'm so glad you guys are okay. I talked to mom this morning and I had to say, "Okay Grandma, stop thinking about the 'what ifs'. Your grandkids and kids are okay." She was getting a little weepy, but I totally understand why. Is your head black and blue yet? Do you have any other bruises?

Haley and Mitch said...

No fun! We're glad you are all ok.

Amber said...

I am so glad everything turned out okay. After talking with you, I had to check it out on your blog. What a story. The same kind of thing happened to me once - a "texter" didn't see everyone brake, so he rammed into the car in front of him at 45 miles an hr ... he didn't put his brake lights on at all ... was texting and didn't see the car stop in front of him. Well, I was behind this idiot, and so I didn't have time to stop either and barely hit the side of his car as I tried to stop in time ... stupid thing is that the cop still gave me a ticket for hitting him and I had to go to court to fight it. So lame. Texting is so dangerous and I am just glad you guys were okay from it all. :)

Erika said...

I am so glad you guys are ok. How did you get those pictures? It looks like an impound lot?

elise said...

I had no idea you guys went through that! I am sobbing thinking of how grateful I am that you are all ok. Sorry I'm such a lousy friend that I didn't know to check on you.