Thursday, May 14, 2009

I shouldn't be allowed to make decisions, Part II

So I hope that from the years of reading my blog, you, my stalkers, know at least one thing about me: I'm frugal. I scrimp and save, bend and stretch to make all of our dollars go as far as they can. Kraig thinks I'm stingy all the way around, but if we have a few extra un-allotted dollars, I rarely spend it on myself.

In fact, my thrift goes so far that I've stopped highlighting my hair (who knew I'd love my dark brown so much? ) and it's been 6 months since my last haircut. Ok, too long, I know. The last time I got it cut, it was fantastic and it's grown out pretty decently. It wasn't until my horrible passport photo experience at wal-mart that I realized how bad it was truly getting. I promptly went to Supercuts (first mistake) and paid $15.95 for a "trim." Here are the results. Prepare yourselves. It's pretty gruesome:



Just wait, it gets worse.



Notice the 2 big holes in the side of my mullet?


I wish I could say I'd done my make-up to look as horrible as possible to make these photos even worse, but that's not the case. The red rimmed eyes are evidence of my bouts of crying over this mistake. I should just go to bed and sleep it off. Unfortunately my hair will look the same when I wake up.


So I have two requests in to two friends who cut hair to fix this disaster, but no one's returned my calls/emails/pleas for help. I think they're scared. I fear I'll never be able to be seen in public again.


So what lesson did I learn? It's much better to shell out the $40 for a decent cut than to "cut corners" and end up looking like this and THEN have to pay for the expensive hair cut anyway. That's not thrifty, it's wasteful.

Update: I just got a call back (9:35pm) from one of my requests and she's willing to fix my hair tonight, bless her soul. I'll post an after photo in the morning.

5:50am update (Why is it important to get a time stamp on this? I don't know.): She did a fantastic job. It was practically all she could do to not cry when she saw my hair. So we laughed. A LOT. Here's my amazing transformation. She had to take quite a bit to even the back out with the hack job on the sides, but I love it!


Thanks, Elise! I have a smile again :)

18 comments:

LKC said...

Oh, Jacqui! Don't feel too bad about a bad cut. You could have paid $40+ and gotten a bad do. You never know. (That being said, I will always steer clear of Supercuts and beauty schools). I'm to the point now where I won't even see a stylist unless I get a recommendation--just because they work in a fancy salon doesn't mean they're any good.

The big question is... did you cry while you were in the chair?

Jacqui said...

No, I didn't cry in the chair. I waited until I got home and styled it and saw what a huge disaster it truely was. Bless Kraig's heart, he told me repeatedly that he thought I looked beautiful and that he loved it. He gets extra points for his sweetness in a time of duress.

SnellieFam said...

it looks fantastic!

LKC said...

The "after pics" are amazing! Great job, Elise! And I've always thought you looked good with short hair, Jacqui.

Ashley Preston said...

All's well that ends well right?! The final product looks great! A haircut can be the most devastating or the most exciting experience !

Helen said...

Is a "smile" haircut the same as a "smile" dress? If so, your new haircut is a "go." Kudos to Elise.

Brenny said...

Elise is a STAR! This little experience has definitely convinced me to pay more money for my next hair cut. Mmmm... maybe I'll come visit you and make an appointment with Miss E.

And I LOVE the new bob. It looks so good on you!

Christi said...

Love it! That's my favorite style. I'm desperate for a haircut too, and to put it off a little longer I took the scissors to my bangs this morning. Never good to grab scissors out of desperation. Too short. Now I'm emabarassed to go get it cut and admit to my bang 'trim'. Oh well. I think I'll take a pic of your cut to see if she can get it right...(last time was close, but not quite).

ps-yeah Elise!!!!

Kelli said...

Oh my goodness girl! You look so great with the new(er) do! It turned out darling and I am glad that you have learned your lesson. Sometimes splurging on yourself is a good thing!

Christy said...

That's the hottest end to a flub-up ever! Nice 'do! :)

Ashley said...

Wow, it looks SO CUTE! Really, I don't think I've ever liked your hair more. I did think the pic of you in your grim-faced, tear-stained mulletness was pretty dang funny. I have tried going cheap on hair and it always ends up being too expensive--if not monetarily than too expensive on my psyche to have bad hair. By the way, you should call the manager and get your money back from Supercuts if you paid. Not bc I think it looked that bad, but for the pain and suffering. And by the way, I have always thought of you as a very provident, thifty wife and mom, not a cheapskate.

Erika said...

Your new cut is hot! So it was kind of a blessing because you look AMAZING!

Elise is the bomb, I never cheat on her... she is so talented!

Jon and Diana said...

This may sound mean, but I think you should call the manager of Supercuts and tell them about your experience; then refuse the free haircut offer and get your money back. I once called the girl who does my hair because there was a stripe (not a highlight) in the middle of my head and I had family pictures the next day. She got me right in, fixed the problem and I was happy. Do it and you'll be glad you did.

Robin Fisher said...

I love your new look. I have always thought your hair looks best short--but I love short hair, so maybe my opinion is a little skewed.

Peay Family said...

The end result was awesome, I'd say it was even worth the first cut just to get to the second. I know how you felt though, I've been there several times because I am too cheap (or too poor) to pay for a decent hair cut. I have pretty much accepted the fact that I just have to come home and fix it with some scissors myself after a visit to Fantastic Sams.

Brenny said...

Look who is so popular! But seriously, your hair is that cute. I just love it. I seriously need to do something with mine.

So, I actually came to your blog to see race pictures. How did it go this weekend?

Trish said...

Your hair looks great and this post totally made me laugh...I know, laughing at your pain. :o) A couple months ago, I snapped one day a decided I wanted my hair chopped off. Trevor was gone, so I took the boys (first mistake) and went to Great Clips. I still need to get it fixed.

Chadlee said...

It looks fantastic!