Monday, May 25, 2009

A 10K is a 10K, whether I pay to run it or not

So all of the 5:30am running I've been doing for the past few months has been leading up to today: the Bolder Boulder. It's a famous 10K in Boulder, Colorado, that 56,000 runners run from all over the world. Who knows why it's so famous or what charity it sponsors, but it's a big deal here in Colorado.

It's a great time...if only I would have paid the $55 to register and run it. (Really? They wanted me to pay them? I don't love running quite that much. Maybe if they paid me I'd love it more). Donita had already paid, so she headed up there this morning, but I coaxed Kraig into doing our own 10K at 5:30 this morning. I mapped it out on www.mapmyrun.com and memorized the course (it wasn't really that complicated) so that we wouldn't miss any turns. My mom came over at 5:20am to be here with the boys and we headed out.

I love running with Kraig. He's so funny and is great at keeping my mind off what I'm doing. So here's how it went:




Starting from home (the green circle), we ran to Eaglecrest high school (via Picadilly St), lapped the track 4 times (the big oval that looks like, well, a track :), hopped a fence (that I didn't originally see on the satellite--I should have run Cross Country in High School)to Copperleaf Street and looped back home through the neighborhood (Tempe to Riviera to Picadilly to Netherland to home). We ran to the 6.5K mark, walked until the 7.5K mark (a nice loop around an elementry school), and then ran the rest of the way home. My original goal was to run 2 miles, walk 1 mile, run 2 more, walk the last 1 and then run in the last .2 of the mile (a 10K is 6.2 miles). But, obviously, we beat our goal and ended up walking less than 1 mile (.62 of a mile, to be exact).

My other goal was to finish in under 1 hour 10 minutes (70 minutes or 1:10). I don't think that if I would have run/walked/run/walked like I'd originally planned I would have made it, but as we ended up running it, here was our time:



Can you read my heart monitor? Our time was 1:11 (71 minutes) Not bad! I'm glad I did it AND that I didn't have to pay to run AND that Kraig did it too (it's the farthest he's ever barefooted before--there was just a little blood when he cut his toe hopping the fence at the high school).

So, is this the end of my running career? We'll see!

9 comments:

erinka said...

Your mom came at 5:20 am? Wonder Woman! Mrs. Frugal, the Bolder Boulder is not just about running. Tsk tsk. It's about the naked running guys, the costumes, the social agendas! just kidding. I'm proud of you for setting doable goals and meeting some and exceeding others! Way to go!

Erika said...

You are a-MAY-zing...(yes I know it's spelled wrong)and a little crazy!

Ashley said...

That is a long long way to run. I'm very impressed!

Brenny said...

I think it is great. We should start a new Memorial day tradition of 10k running. Of course, that would actually mean I'd had to run... BUt we could change the venue every time to make it interesting.

I always for get that Kraig runs barefoot.

Brenny said...

I think it is great. We should start a new Memorial day tradition of 10k running. Of course, that would actually mean I'd had to run... BUt we could change the venue every time to make it interesting.

I always for get that Kraig runs barefoot.

Jacqui said...

Brenny, I've decided that during our next family reunion weekend(Rencher AND Webb), I want to do a fun run with prizes. Maybe not as big as a 5K, but something like a 3K that the kids could do easily and feel good about. What do you think? Do you think we'd have takers? Don't you think we could totally get into it? The whole family training for the walk/run..I think it'd be fun!

On a side note, Darren asked what our times were for the GoLaB race last week. I think he knew that he would have beat me when I told him my time. I didn't bring up that I'd looked up his time from last year.

Christi said...

Nice work! Way to keep the long weekend productive. :)...your husband seriously runs barefoot?

Kelli said...

Hey,

I'm a rencher. But I don't run. Ever. Unless one of my kids is in the street and even then...

The rest of the family runs though! They would love it.

Robin Fisher said...

Kelli,
I tend to side with you. I think one should only run if one is chased.:)
BUT Jacqui, I will humor you. My double jogger stroller was delivered yesterday. :)