Last week we hit the trifecta. I took Thomas to his regular appointment to check his ears and the doctor informed me that it had, in fact, become infected. No problem! Bring on the antibiotics. And what about this new rash he has developed on his back and chest? Hmmm. Looks like shingles. Let's add a round of antiviral medicine to his prescriptions. That fever and cough? Might be related to the ear infection, but get a chest X-ray, just in case. Sure enough, it is pneumonia!
As I rushed Thomas to the ER I could not get my emotions and tears under control. Uttering my silent pleas, I felt helpless and alone as I was about to face another hospital stay, with a new set of nurses and doctors, an unknown set of possible problems and outcomes.
Kraig met us at the hospital doors. He was there to hold my hand and to hold Thomas during his multiple examinations, pokes and prods. I had hastily packed an overnight bag for Thomas and myself, but Kraig selflessly volunteered to stay the night with Tommy at the hospital, releasing me from the anxiety of poor night's rest due to the beeping machines and endless nurse rounds.
Assuring me that he would call if anything happened, I left Kraig and Thomas and headed home to pick up Andy and Josh from the neighbor's house. As I wound around on the roads leading home, the peace and comfort I had been praying for on the drive to the hospital finally washed over my soul. The Lord knew of my situation. More importantly, I knew He cared for Thomas and was aware of his needs. My baby was in the most capable of Healing Hands.
I am not alone. I am walking along this journey with my best friend's hand in mine, being led by the Savior as our guide.
I got this. I can do hard things.
7 comments:
I just commented but I don't think it worked. Anyway, love you and praying for you!
Jacqui Rencher Webb: You are a rockstar. You've totally got this. You're amazing. :)
Wow!!! I'm glad Thomas is improving and I'm glad he's got such a good mom! That is so hard.
I understand those feelings :) wish I could hug you. I hope he is feeling better soon! He is such a cute happy boy!
This brought tears to me eyes--both for what little tommy and you have to go through, and also because of the immense love of God that He allows us to feel when we need it. I hope Tommy's doing better! So glad you and Kraig have each other too.
You. Are. Awesome.
I'm tearing up. Jacqui, I know no one else who is better equipped to do this! I second Robin, "You. Are. Awesome." Kraig sounds pretty amazing too! Good team work Webbs!
Post a Comment