Down syndrome wasn't a surprise when Tommy was born. We had known for months that he more than likely had that extra chromosome. I was as prepared emotionally as I could be at his birth. Somehow, I told myself, it will all work out. Love will get us through.
Oh heavens, has it worked out. And it wasn't just our love for him: his unfailing love and trust is us has been the key in his first two years. Our Thomas has exceeded our expectations so many times. Even as I write that, why do I sound so surprised?
He is a Webb! Just like his older brothers he loves to run, play with balls, wrestle, climb, ride bikes, and be outside. His dinosaur collection keeps him occupied for minutes (that is hours in two-year-old talk). He also loves to snuggle and gives the best hugs, accompanied by a soft pat on the back.
He can make a mess with the best of them (while I write this he is throwing his cereal on the carpet), but all's forgiven when he melts my heart with his snaggle-tooth grin.
He is more alike than different, this Thomas of ours. And we are so glad he is ours.
Happy birthday, Whoots! We love you!
4 comments:
Happy Birthday Tommy! He is such a joy. We miss you guys so much.
So sweet! I love that he gives you soft pats on the back. Two is one of the best ages for little boys. There is something about Tommy that just makes me love him and I've never even met him!
Happy Birthday, Tommy! You are indeed a rock star!!!
I know those feelings :) Happy Birthday Tommy! oh btw I went private on my blog... if you want an invite email me your email address. rachelann888@hotmail.com
Post a Comment