Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The NOT Sleep Study

So tired. My eyes feel like I've been crying for hours, when in actuality I haven't shed a single tear in weeks.
.
Because of the Down syndrome, Thomas has small nasal passages. He snores like an old man. It is pretty cute on his 18 pound body. Cute in the sense that I don't have to share a room with him and can admire his cuteness when I go and tuck him in at night.
.
Well apparently it's not cute for 11 month olds to snore. We're talking, ENT specialists, talk of surgery, and last night, Tommy's first sleep study to see what is actually going on while he sleeps.
.
It all started out innocent enough. Tommy looked cute in his two piece jammies and was having a great time flirting with the nurse and playing in his new crib.
.
Then we spent 60 minutes trying to attach a bazillion electrodes, straps, tape, and wires to his little body. He didn't love that so much. They mummy wrapped his head so he wouldn't pull them off (he still managed to get two out of the gauze) and told me after 60 minutes of him fussing to try and get him to sleep. Um. Ok. My child falls asleep alone in his room listening to piano music. Mommy rocking him while his body is being unnaturally probed isn't going to cut it.
.
But, finally the exhaustion wins over and he falls asleep (his exhaustion or mine?). This was around...I don't know...10:30 maybe? We'd been there since 7:15. Tom's normal bedtime is 7:30. Right now all you mommys out there should be nodding you heads because you know what's coming. The nice, patient nurse then comes in and tells me they have to put a cannula on his nose and an additional sensor over the cannula to measure his O2 intake and CO2 output.
.
Here's a little side note: Do you remember when Thomas had RSV when he was 6 weeks old? Ever since that week we spent in the hospital being pinned down and having his nose suctioned by strangers the poor boy has serious issues with people touching/looking at/wiping his nose. I can't blame him. So inserting the cannula did not go over well. Not only did he not like it there, but the additional sensor made it impossible for him to suck his thumb (I know, I know. Don't talk about the thumb sucking); the wires made it impossible for him to sleep on his stomach; the beeping/noisy machines and VIOLA! we have a perfect recipe for a disastrous night.
.
Long story short (really, my mind is just too muddled with sleep deprivation to form too many more sentences), we will be really lucky if there is enough collective data from which to draw conclusions.
.
He hated the crib, so we tried putting him in my bed with me (read: taking over my bed so I sat out in the hall and read my book). I am pretty sure I have scarred my little boy for life. And unfortunately he will have a lifetime of doctors, hospitals, and treatments. Early analysis of his results tell us he's going to have to be on oxygen while he sleeps.
.
Sigh. I'm tired.

11 comments:

Robin Fisher said...

You haven't scared him for life. Remember Adam's comment about Mike being deployed? I really believe God watches over the little kids.
We have watched Bombie again and again and again. Marie knows which button to push to make it go again. I love that little mug!

LKC said...

Oh jacqui! That sounds brutal. He looks SO adorable in the first couple of pictures. Poor guy didn't know what he was in for...

ps. Let's talk soon! Are you ever on Skype anymore?

Brenny said...

Poor little guy! Not being able to soothe with the thumb either! On an encouraging note, you look really cute in your pictures. I'm sure that was before the lack of sleep...

I totally agree with Robin, and know for a fact, that Heavenly Father really does watch and shelter kids from potentially tramatic events. Tommy will be just fine.

Kelli said...

Poor little guy! I can't believe what they had to do to him for the tests. The part I feel the worst about is that he couldn't suck his thumb! And you, my friend, just remember that you are doing all of this so that his own future sleeping life will be better. You are not scarring but helping. It reminds me of a story that is way too long to write here. Maybe I will post it and let you read it there. Keep the faith and get some sleep.

Bryce and Karlene said...

tell me anyone who can sleep through that :( Poor little guy and POOR mommy. Hospitals are hard to be in anyway let alone get some "normal" sleep. Hope that is all he has to have at night. Just think, instead of hearing him snore, you get to hear the ox. machine running all night. Maybe it can hum everyone to sleep.

Ashley said...

Oh that is so incredibly brutal and must have been so hard on you. He still manages to be adorable in all the pictures which is pretty amazing. I REALLY hope they got their data so you don't have to do this thing again. It's hard enough for an adult to sleep in a hospital, even without all that stuff cramping your style! Be extra good to him!

Ashley Preston said...

Oh Jacqui, I'm so sorry. Sounds like a very rough night! He is so darling in those pictures though. I'm praying they miraculously got the data they needed!

erinka said...

Now that you've had some sleep, I hope you feel a little more normal. We do whatever we have to to help our children grow like they should. You and Kraig are doing such a good job! I think thumbsucking is good for babies. Way better than continually taking it away from them. Just my opinion. You're awesome!

Please Pass the Green said...

Wow, you guys are troopers. I bet that was so hard to watch. Have the doctors said anything else about surgery so Tommy can breathe better? Is he on oxygen now? Hope you both are sleeping well once again. And that picture of Tommy holding the side of the crib is adorable!

Adam Jensen said...

sheesh! poor little guy, well actually poor you! I think it's harder on the parents than the kids. Sleep studies with kids are just plain ridiculous... I can only imagine how it would go with any of mine. Hayden had to be on oxygen from birth til 5 months so I feel for you. Did they say they could take out his tonsils? would that help? Hayden's tonsils are HUGE! But so far they haven't caused any problems. Hope you can all get some sleep!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Wow- what a night. I can't imagine any baby being able to sleep under such circumstances. You are a trooper. You both are. I wish I would have known sooner to help out more.