Monday, January 18, 2010

A pregnancy confession

At my OB's office, each woman is responsible of weighing herself and reporting that weight to the nurse during intake. It's not so bad, except that I've put on a lot of weight this pregnancy and I've stopped wanting to know what my weight is. It's usually around the 34/36 week appointment anyway that I turn around on the scale and don't look at my weight go up each week--I let the nurse quietly write it in my chart. It just depresses me too much.
.
I had my 34 week appointment this morning. This appointment wasn't any different than the last dozen I've been to; I weighed myself and found out I'd gained 1 pound/week since my last appointment. That's perfectly normal for this point in the pregnancy. The only problem is that now I know where my weight is. I'm 9 pounds away from weighing as much as my husband. EEeek!
.
I dated a lot of scrawny light-weights in college. I'm not a petite girl, so I always felt like a mammoth around these losers because I knew if I gained 3 pounds or grew an inch I'd be the heavyweight in the relationship. I could also out-eat them. Therefore, those boys had to go. When I met, dated, and married Kraig, I was so excited for so many reasons, but for once I felt petite around a boy, he was tall and solidly built, and he could definitely out-eat me. All qualities I wanted in a husband. I also knew that at my heaviest pregnant weight, Kraig would still outweigh me. Really, I had those thoughts and they were important to me (I think it's a side product of my education).
.
So here I am, 10 pounds away from claiming the heavyweight champ roll in our home. I've asked Kraig if he wouldn't mind working harder to gain a few pounds in the next 6 weeks--you know, sympathy weight gain for his growing wife. Or maybe a little emotional eating to match my own. SOMETHING so that I don't reach that magic number on the scale above his. We'll see how it goes. I might just have to swallow my pride (along with all the food I cram in my body) and accept that it's just how it's going to be. Phooey.
.

Me after dinner last night, filled to the brim with steak, mashed potatoes, and asparagas. Definitely a content mama!

13 comments:

Haley and Mitch said...

I know that it is really mentally difficult being pregnant and feeling huge, but Mitch always reminded me that "Haley does not weigh that much. The baby is the fat one!" Not that it makes it easier, but it's a nice thought anyway!

Brenny said...

You make me laugh! Kraig, it is time to step up to the plate. You need to take this for the team, man. I know working around food has actually made you lose weight, but you need to start snacking a bit...

You look beautiful, Jacqui. I think that everytime I see you.

Ashley said...

So funny. I passed up Tyler both of my last pregnancies--always a sad day. (I gain roughly pounds, and he always chooses that time to DIET!) But if you only have 40 days to go, I bet you don't gain 10 pounds! (But if you do, who cares--just don't tell anyone!)

Ashley said...

I meant I gain roughly 50 pounds. I must have left out the number in some unconscious self-protection.

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

I know the thought process. Being pregnant is hard in so many ways- the least the husband can do is make sure they weigh more in the end right. Good luck Kraig.

blaine and michelle said...

I told Blaine I'm going to force feed him milkshakes if we get close to that point again (last time I was within 3 pounds...and he's lost weight since then!)It's just one of the joys of pregnancy I guess. 6 weeks left! Getting so close!

Helen said...

I think you look beautiful! You can worry about what the scale says when you get your little guy here.

Jon and Diana said...

I laughed and laughed reading this comment. I am the same way,not wanting to weigh more than Jon ever.. although Jon has gained enough that if I EVEN GET CLOSE to his weight I would be in trouble. I think you'll make it at just under Kraig's weight. No worries, you are a dietitian specializing in this.

Trish said...

I'm the same way and had the exact same thought. I did not want to outweigh Trevor even when nine months pregnant! I also gained more with pregnancy #3. It was depressing. The apron looks great on you!

Peay Family said...

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. One of the biggest selling points when I was dating Sam was knowing that no matter what (barring a 300 pound weight gain) his thighs would always be bigger than mine when I sat down next to him!

Christi said...

You look beautiful! Eat, Kraig, Eat. I don't know what it is about that mental thing about not wanting to weigh more than your husband-even when pregnant, but you are not alone.

Christy said...

This cracked me up. I have the same complex. I don't date scrawny guys. I'm not a scrawny chick. :)
As for baby weight... it'll come off soon enough! And you'll get an added member of the family as a bonus!

Cami Sue said...

LOL. You are hilarious! It's nice to hear someone else has thoughts like that. The sad thing for me is I married a man thinner than me. He has taken one for the team though in weighing more than I was pregnant. I have lost all the weight and a little more. You can do it. Remember - it's for the baby right? With those yummy/healthy foods who wouldn't gain a little healthy weight. That just makes it easier to come off.

You look great by the way.