Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Trial Seperation

My blog and I had a falling out and decided to take a break last week. I would have posted something about it, but the blog wouldn't let me. So instead of idling my time away waiting for a reconciliation, I did what any newly separated woman would do and went on vacation.

Denver International to Salt Lake International
Ever since we picked up my brother from the airport a few months ago, Andy's been talking about going on an airplane. He's been before but not that he'd remember. We woke up early early on Tuesday morning and flew to SLC where Robin picked us up in my van that she'd had with her in Utah all week long. The flight was uneventful and blissfully short, but Andy got a kick out of it. The plane was only 1/4 full so we got our own row and my 'lap child' got his own seat, thus increasing my enjoyment on the flight.


Salt Lake International to Small Town, Idaho
As Robin was coming to the airport to pick me up my car started acting crazy. I won't go into details (only because it's still painful for me to talk about), but after a stop to visit one of my mechanic brothers-in-law to see if he could diagnose the problem, we continued on to my Grandmother's house. Our average speed was about 50 miles per hour. Ya. It's still painful.

But despite the car trouble, we had a wonderful visit at my grandmother's. Last time I was there Andy was about 5 months old, so we were long overdue for a visit. I think it was a little overwhelming to have 6 extra people in their home (not even beginning to talk about the decibel level of said 6 people), but Grandma and Grandpa never complained about the noise.

Small Town, Idaho to the Homestead
So with a fervent prayer and a lot of faith that our car would work, we headed on to the Rencher family reunion at our family's Homestead. Ahhh. The Homestead. I think that heaven will look like the Homestead. My heaven, anyway. We spent our 4th of July weekend there. It was a great time laughing, riding 4-wheelers, getting dirty, eating, and sleeping (a little).


Favorite quote: Darren, "Just in case he needs to 'cap' a cousin." Wow, I've got some interesting characters in my extended family.

The Homestead to Colorado
Leaving the homestead is always emotional. I can't remember a time as an adult that I've driven out without crying. It's the heritage, the land, the memories, the family, the love. It's just the Homestead. If you've been there, you'd know what I was trying to say. I hope that I can pass on a love for that land to my children just as my parents have passed it on to me.

Once again, we started our trip with a big prayer in our hearts and a whole lot of faith that we could make the 600+ mile journey with 4 kids, 8 suitcases, 2 tired moms and a temperamental DVD player, all without incident. I'm pleased to report that the prayers and fasting worked because it wasn't nearly as painful as we had feared. We made it home safely (average speed 75mph, if you wanted to know) and were pleased to be at home again with Kraig and our own beds in separate rooms (remind me not to share a camping mattress with Andy again;)

All in all, the separation was good for me and the blog. It's made me realize how important the blog is in my life (wipe a tear) and how deeply our relationship runs (sniff, sniff). I love you, blog.

5 comments:

Brenny said...

Great post and great pictures. I'm glad you and the blog have made up.

I didn't realize you had car troubles for the entire trip! Cars stink sometimes. I hope you can get it figured out.

The Homestead sure was fun!

Kelli said...

So good to see you! Love your pictures and I missed the cap your cousin comment but it was the first thing that Alli told me about when she got home! I almost did a whole expose on strange relations! Glad you and your car made it back safe!

Brenny said...

Your boys are so dang cute. I think this is the 10th time I've come and looked at this post.

A. said...

It was a lot of fun. Next time bring Kraig so he can take care of the kids :)

Ashley said...

That sounds wonderful (besides the car problems!) I was missing you and wondering where you went. Josh is getting so grown up and cute!