Tuesday, July 22, 2008

To play or not to play?

This weekend I realized that there are two kinds of people in this world: Those who play games and those who don't.

I am a game person. Every game presented to me has the potential of being the funnest game I've ever played. That is why, as some of you may have read in my post last week, our"favorite games" are probably not considered rip-roarin' good times to most people. Ok, ok. I know. Most people wouldn't put Scrabble on their to-10 lists. I'm not a game snob. I'll play almost anything.


Kraig and I finally invited another couple over for dinner last weekend. We've been meaning to do it for ages, but something always kept coming up. A few weeks ago we ran into one of my dearest friends from college. Ok, probably not one of my dearest since we didn't keep in touch since I graduated, but a good friend. He (and his wife, he'd just gotten married) had just moved to Denver, so we invited them over for dinner, dessert and games. The conversation was great, we were having lots of fun getting to know his cute wife and getting reacquainted since it'd been years since we'd seen each other. Then we pulled out the games. Both said they loved playing games, but oh the torture! The evening ended after one painful hour of games and I felt awful! I felt that the whole evening was a flop because Kraig and I didn't have 'fun games' to play, which is entirely untrue. It was just that they weren't 'game people,' even though they professed to enjoy playing games.

Anyway, I've come to this realization and will choose my dinner party activities accordingly. I promise I won't force you to play games that you don't want to play!

But, just so I know. Are you a game person or not?

10 comments:

Jon and Diana said...

Yes, I love playing games and wish I knew how to play hand foot that we played that night we had you over for dinner. But.. as you revieled in your last weeks blog, you make your own rules. That is great!

Robin Fisher said...

Ummm, depends on the game. I would rather have a root canal than play Monopoly, but I am always game for Uno or Cranium. I just played "Apples to Apples". That was fun.

Ashley said...

Yes Tyler and I love games, just hardly ever get to play in this stage of life. He LOVES scrabble and speed scrabble. He came into our marriage with 3 or 4 maybe 5 boxes of scrabble. I threw him a Scrabbleganza for his 30th bday. So you two should get married if me and Kraig die.

Kelli said...

Wife yes. Husband, only to please wife.

Kelli said...

So, now that you know, when is dinner?

Peay Family said...

I am a total game person, I can't get enough. Sam not so much, but he will play to make me happy.

Brenny said...

Me: Any game, any time. Darren: will play, but will trash talk the entire time even if he's never played the game before. And if there is something more exciting on, like football, he's out.

LKC said...

We will play. And we play to win.

A. said...

I am so a game person as long as it isn't hand and foot and as long as the people I am playing with are not competitive in any way or if they mock me or if they are winning. Yep, game night is fun.

Christi said...

Ohh, ouch. I totally get it. I hate it when a great night goes sour with games. And, it's not the games' fault-if you catch my drift. Here is an interesting thing I have discovered...some people are card people, rather than board games, and I suppose vice versa. Personally, I do enjoy games...unless I totally suck, then it's not so fun.