Thursday, May 10, 2007

There's no place like home

Kraig and I are frequently correcting ourselves when we talk about our families. We go down to Centerville a few times a month and see my parents in Denver about once a year. To avoid confusion, we always try to refer to OUR home in Heber as 'home.' "When we get home....no, when we get to your mom's house..." is a conversation we start all the time. Old habits are hard to break, but I've decided it's not one that needs to be broken.

Andrew and I have spent the last few days at my parents' home in Colorado.

This is where I grew up, where I laughed and cried and made memories with my family and friends. The walls of my bedroom still bear the scars of my crush-graffiti (sorry, Mom. Yes, the room needs to be painted), the shelves are adorned with my collection of Cinderella paraphernalia, and the closet is full of my old shoes and prom dresses. This is my home. It will always be my home, just as the Webb home in Centerville will always be Kraig's home.





But as I've spent this week away from my sweetheart, my heart has ached to be home with him. That's my true home. The address doesn't matter--we could live in a cardboard box--but as long as I've got my boys--the big one and the little one-- with me, my heart is home.


All that said, there are a few things that I do look forward to when I come 'home' to Colorado:


1. Dad's steaks. No one does a steak like my dad. I'll never order one at a restaurant because I know I'll just be disappointed.
2. Shopping with Mom. It's not about where we go or if we buy, it's just spending time together like we used to.
3. Good water pressure in the 3rd floor bathroom. You'd think my basement duplex would have good pressure--it doesn't have to travel uphill at all--but it doesn't.
4. Denver water. It's not as good as Heber water, but it's a close second.
5. Wireless. How will my dial-up ever suffice when I get home?


Maybe I shouldn't have numbered the list because that makes it looks like the end. It's not, it's just what's coming to mind while I sit here in the kitchen and type on Mom's computer.


It's been good to be home, but I'm excited to go home today.

1 comment:

LKC said...

As an outsider, I can attest that Cliff Rencher does make one mean steak. Jacqui neglected to mention that they also have an amazing garden that produces delicious squash.