Monday, May 14, 2007

Here a yoga there a yoga

I've been doing things a little differently this pregnancy. With Andrew, the most exercise I got was walking from my desk to the bathroom. Literally. I guess occasionally Kraig and I would get out for an evening walk, but by then I was so tired and swollen I couldn't go far.

So this time around I decided that I was going to try and exercise up until delivery. Maybe this would change my weight gain or my recovery time. I was doing pilates and yoga occasionally before I was pregnant and walking most days, but I kicked it into high gear when we found out I was expecting. That meant aerobics or yoga in the mornings, 5-6 days a week and the walking in the afternoons. Mostly I'd just do my normal 'non-pregnancy' videos in the mornings, just adapting them for what I felt was safe and comfortable for me and the baby. I have one 'Fit Mama' video with the 'Buns of Steel' lady which was fun to do and feels pretty good.

So last week while I was in Denver, Brenda passed along a pre & post natal yoga workout that she got from a coworker.

I'm always excited to have something new to spice up my usual routine, so I threw this DVD in this morning while Kraig and Andy were out on a walk. It was SOOO funny! The hostess, whose name is Gurmukh Khalsa (and she is most definitely a North American White Female), was so hippy it was a riot! The workout actually felt pretty good (with my 32 week belly, I'm realizing I can't fold myself in half like I used to with the other videos), but Gurmukh kept telling me to "visualize myself 1000 years ago giving birth in the forest with the birds and animals." Uh. Ok. How about I visualize myself in the hospital with my OB and an anaesthesiologist.

I'll definitely do the workout again, but there's no way I'll do it while Kraig's around. He would mock it terribly!

2 comments:

Brenny said...

SO funny. I had Lauren come and read what you wrote. She said the lady was totally like that and she wouldn't let her husband be around when she did it either. She also said she wasn't into the chanting at the beginning. CHANTING!? Funny.

Um, I'd rather throw up marbles. Who would want to sweat cheese? The smell--blech.

Ashley said...

Someone gave me that same video! It's hilarious. How bout that part where you freestyle dance?!? I'm all about the epidural.