Ahhh...the joys of being a mother.
To all my fellow caregivers out there, I have one question: Could your husbands clean up barf without throwing up? I think it's cute how Kraig holds his breath around throw up (especially in the middle of the night--it seems to phase me less then. We won't even get started on how funny he is with the $10 diapers). Those barfs are easy. They're totally contained to the crib, jammies, and kid. Everything is washable, scrubable, and disinfectible. There's no carpet to clean up, no upholstery to dry clean. No car seat to disassemble.
Andy threw up on the way home from our errands this morning. I'm getting on the freeway and noticed that there was a funky smell. I checked the soles of my shoes. Did I step in something gross before I got in the car? A slight whimper from the backseat and a quick glance in the rear view mirror tells me my little one has just emptied his breakfast all over himself and the car seat. Ewww.
Here's my dilemma: Do I keep driving, trying to make it back to the house as quickly as possible, or do I pull over and clean him up the best that I can with just a box of cheap tissues (of course I neglected to bring the diaper bag on our errands). Would letting my son sit in his own barf (and consequently play in the goop) constitute child neglect?
As I drove home a little too fast I composed my excuse to the officer who might pull me over.
"Lean in here officer. Do you smell that? Look at my son! He just threw up all over himself. I was only speeding to get home quickly so that I could clean him up."
Thankfully I didn't have to use my excuse (but I'll definately log that one away for later....).
Andy is now peacefully napping in a new outfit, the car seat is disassembled, clean and drying on the back porch, and I'm ready for a nap. Is it really only 11:30?
2 comments:
Oh Jacq, how funny! Poor Andy. You've had so much excitement since you have been at mom's. I love that you had an excuse ready for the police man. Of course, that is totally why you didn't get pulled over; if you are prepared, it won't happen. :)
I do the same thing whenever I am speeding--think out my story for the cop. Not looking forward to Charlie's first time being sick!
Post a Comment