Thursday, June 30, 2011

Waxing on

To be raising a child with a disability, there is a certain amount of reality that I've had to come to terms with: more sicknesses, more doctors, unforeseeable futures. Nothing, no amount of warning or "likelihood" could prepare a mother for the sudden loss of her child.

I am deeply affected by the loss of our friends' son, Kalem. I cannot imagine the physical pain of being ripped so suddenly from a child that you brought forth from your own body; a child made up of half your genes, half your personality, half your heart.

Certainly death is a part of life. And pain and hurt and heartache seem to come breezing through as if to add flavor to the joys and happiness we are promised. The sweet and the salty. The tart and the bitter.

Heaven bless this poor mother.

I will be clinging to my children a little tighter.

2 comments:

Robin Fisher said...

Amen, sista.

Please Pass the Green said...

The more I work with kids with disabilities, the more and more my respect grows for strong, loving mothers like you.