.
Before Thomas was born the third bedroom was occupied by my sewing machines and sewing table. I gladly gave up the space to welcome my beautiful son, but I have sorely missed having a space of my own--to close myself in and create beautiful things. In fact, the creating of beautiful things has been in short supply in my house since Thomas was born. Right now it's all about getting the essentials done--dishes, vacuuming, picking up toys, cleaning bathrooms, making milk, changing diapers. No extra time for creativity.
.
Brenda and Darren adopted two beautiful daughters last week. They'll be sealed as a Forever Family this week and I asked Brenny for the privilege of making the girls' temple dresses. So I set up an impromptu sewing room downstairs in my family room. It necessitated moving the furniture around, but the reallocated space has been worth it. Making clothes for girls is so much more fun than making clothes for boys! I've loved exercising my dusty sewing neurons as I've changed patterns and made some special dresses for these special little ladies.
.
So I was bit by the sewing bug.
.
Last week I went to Brenda's and helped her make a slip cover for her ottoman. (Brenny, you really should have smoothed out those wrinkles before taking a photo...). This project got the creativity juices flowing and I decided to spend a little of my birthday money redecorating my sewing/family room. I made a slip cover for our ottoman and a few throw pillows. I picked up the fuzzy blanket at Ross. Here are the before and after:
.
Th couch is not normally in front of the fireplace, but adding my huge sewing table to the room meant that I had to move it.

.
Ok, it looks awfully florally in the photo, but it actually goes very nicely with the painting I have on the wall behind the sewing table. I also cleaned off the mantel. That's been bugging me for about 2 months. I bought new lamps (at a yard sale for $6). Now all I need is new family photos that include Thomas.

.
So, does anyone else need some sewing done? I'm all out of projects and I don't want to put my machines away.
.
PS. I'll post photos of the temple dresses next week!
6 comments:
I do, I do!! (LOVE the ottoman, BTW) The style this season, according to Real Simple magazine, is feminine. Since moving to El Paso, I have found that wearing skirts in the summer is WAY cooler than shorts. I need more skirts. I am tired of my same 3 skirts. And I can't find any that are the right length at Kohls or Target.
We can take photos while I am there so you have some family photos. What do the "duck ponds" look like. Any good fall colors?
I need some sewing lessons!
They look great! I love the colors -- very you. Thanks again for coming up last night. And, um, I forgot to get you those pants...
Love it! I am a fan of a few splashes of floral. I admire your skill and will join those sewing lessons if you are ever deciding to do them. :)
Nicely done! Your sewing genius is awesome, once again! Glad you were able to get crafty. :)
Post a Comment