Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tommy's Buddies--Year One

Does it sound like the start of a long-series novel?
.
We had a fantastic day today celebrating Thomas, Down syndrome, our family and friends, and the entire Down syndrome community here in Denver. My heart joyed as I watched children and adults of all ages with DS. I felt glimpses of Thomas' future as I looked at these others: The tender, caring, cuddly six year old, clinging to her parent's hand through the throngs of people walking. The handsome, muscular teenager sporting his football jersey and surrounded by his teammates and cheerleaders. And this ambitious young man who brought tears to my eyes as he honored our great country.
.
I have an overflow of love in my heart for our dear family and friends who love our Thomas and who show it with such a generous outpouring. My cup runneth over.
.
Here are a few photos to help each of you share in the joy of our day.
.
If you haven't guessed it yet, our team's name is "Tommy's Buddies." This sign was an "11th hour" addition to our awning--Kraig and I finally got it finished around 10pm last night. We had all this year's walkers on Tommy's Buddies sign so we'll have a record year by year of all the people who love our son.
.
Tommy's best friend Gavin (being held by my dear friend Nicole). I have a feeling these two will have all their major milestone photos taken together...
.
This year's team. All totaled we had over 30 walkers (thank you, all you wonderful virtual and live walkers!) and raised over $1,300 for the Mile High Down Syndrome Association.
.
Is it possible for us all to be looking at the camera at the same time? I love my family!
.
Finished! It was hard to keep our group together, but I'm pretty sure everyone crossed the finish line ;)
.
Some random team mascot. Any guesses as to which team?
.
And one last question. Which port-a-potty is Joshy using? I don't know why I can't get the photo the correct way.
.
Thanks again, Friends! See you again next year!

11 comments:

Chadlee said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Ashley said...

Most importantly, did you win? What was your time? :)

This was a sweet post!

Robin Fisher said...

Classic potty shot!!! Love your family.

Brenny said...

Colorado Eagles hockey! Thanks for letting us participate. We had a great day. The last picture made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Man I love your kids.

Brenny said...

And are you going to post anything about Joshy's haircut? I still can't get over it. He makes me laugh. What a nugget.

Ashley Preston said...

Such a special event! Hooray Tommy's Buddies!

SnellieFam said...

It was a great experience! Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Stacy said...

Talk about strong woman! You're amazing! What a wonderful, special event! Thomas is sooo darling!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Sounds like it was a great day. Love the photos, every one, but the potty shot is a classic!

Christy said...

I've been wondering about this event for weeks! I'm so glad it was such a great success. How very cool. And that last picture... priceless!!!
:)

Please Pass the Green said...

Port-a-potty shot makes me laugh! Oh funny little boy Joshy. Looks like it was a huge success, Jacqui! I wish I could've been there.