Sunday, August 29, 2010

What about the fast turtles?

Who's been to Mt. Rushmore? Raise your hands. Ooo! Ooo! Me! Me! I've been there!

So in the 12 day break between Kraig's old job and his new job (oh yes, he planned it that way), we decided it was a perfect time for a little family vacation. We've been wanting to visit the Black Hills in South Dakota for about 18 months, and this seemed as good of a time as any.

One condition of the trip was that I didn't have to sleep/nurse/take kids potty within the confines of a tent. I didn't find any great rates at hotels in the area, but in looking at campsites (was it really all we could afford?!?), discovered that at Custer State Park in the southern end of the Black Hills they have cabins to reserve! Alas, Kraig got his cooking outside on a Coleman and over the fire, and I got real beds, a solid roof and walls, electricity, air conditioning, heat, with flushing toilets and showers just down the road. I do believe it was the best of both worlds.

Where to begin? We took over 150 photos. Don't worry. I'll just give you a brief synopsis of the highlights of our trip and "Must sees" of South Dakota.

  1. Packing was a challenge. We had to remove the second seat from the van and put all three kids on the back row to leave room for all the coolers and luggage (Thankfully no tents!). Tommy was left to the devices of his brothers and more than once I used the phrase, "Take the ____ off of Tommy's face, guys!" ( please insert pillow, blanket, wet wipe, seat belt, water bottle.) This was all we could see of Thomas--his darling little tuft of hair--as the three of them played and laughed (mostly) way back in the back of the car.



  2. We stayed at Gordon Stockade Lake. Stockade South campground, to be specific. I'm telling you this because it was really that beautiful and if any of you ever get the notion to go, you have to see it for yourselves.



  3. Another requirement of this trip was that it had to be a vacation for me too. All too often it seems that everyone else has a relaxing time while the mommy works her hiney off making it so. Kraig was very obliging and let me take as many naps as I wanted. He would gladly skirt the kids away for a mid-morning hike/adventure while I caught a couple of zzz's. This is them getting back from one of their hikes. Thomas is trying to grab Andy's hair. I think it's hilarious.



  4. Like I mentioned before, our cabin was really nice. Super clean. All of the interiors of the cabins were the same in the campground, but each had a different porch. Ours was the smallest. Most others were bigger with railings and built-in benches. We've already scoped out the cabin we'll request next time we go (it's SS3, fyi).



  5. Thomas hasn't started solids yet (it's on my agenda for this week), but we just laughed and laughed as he gummed this carrot during dinner one night.



  6. Yup. There they are. Seen it. Done. Check! At Mt. Rushmore. He didn't actually drop Thomas.



  7. My pyros. We made a fire each night and the kids roasted marshmallows. I can't even being to estimate how many marshmallows Andy consumed.



  8. Thursday we took advantage of beautiful Custer State Park and our week long pass and took a hike around Center Lake. It was more of a leisurely stroll than a hike, but the kids and Kraig had a great time throwing rocks into the lake. PS--Brenny, I brought home a few rock samples to quiz you. :)



  9. One of the family activities offered in the state park was Gold Panning. The park ranger did a short explanation of all the treasures we might find in the river--quartz, rose quartz, feldspar, gold, and garnet. We were all really excited. And then she informed us that because it's a state park we couldn't take any of it with us, but that they would be so pleased to add it to the park's collection. Phooey. This photo was take right before Joshua fell completely in the river. We had no change of clothes for him, so be sure to check out Tommy's pants that he's wearing at the next stop :)

  10. Our next stop was down to Hot Springs, SD, to do a little trout fishing. Kraig and the kids all caught some (Joshy caught 2!), but they made Kraig throw his back. It was too small. I took about 35 photos of the kids fishing. It was so fun. A definite must do of South Dakota.

  11. So of course Kraig grilled the freshly caught trout over the fire when we got home that evening. SO delicious. My mouth is watering just remembering it. I love that Kraig is such a great chef!

  12. Friday brought a trip up to Rapid City to visit Bear Country. It's a wildlife preserve where the animals are not in cages, but actually walking around by the cars. Also a must see of South Dakota. It was SO neat. No animals attacked us (thank heavens), and we got some up-close-and-personal encounters with reindeer and bears. Yes, this is an albino buffalo. As Joshy was always so kind to remind us "Buffalo are dangerous. Please do not approach."

  13. Next stop was Wall Drug in Wall, SD. It took way too long to get there and it was not great. It was just a tourist trap. The best part was Kraig running through the fountains with Thomas on his back.

  14. My most favorite part of the trip was this: After putting the kids to bed, Kraig and I would sit on the porch, watch the moon rise, and play Uno and read to each other. Best. Time. Ever. I think this was the final game to determine the World Champion Uno Player. I can't remember who won. It was probable me :)

Well. That's it. That was our trip. Kraig starts his new job today and the kids will be starting preschool and sports in the next few weeks. I'm glad for the little reprieve we had while we were there. It was a good recharge.


I just have one question: Why don't the fast turtles get a sign?

6 comments:

Robin Fisher said...

LOVED all the photos. Can't wait to talk to you.

Helen said...

Kraig gets a "thumbs up" for cooking the fish with the heads and tails on. I don't know if it is a Webb tradition to do it that way but it certainly is a Rencher tradition. :-) The pictures are great!

Brenny said...

Great pictures. What a fun trip! I want to stay at that cool cabin. I laughed so hard at Josh wearing Tommy's pants -- classic. What a nugget. The first time I drove through Hot Springs I wanted to live there. Is it still cute and quaint?

Dude! My word verification was 'joyin'. I find joyin your post.

Kelli said...

What a great trip! Loved all the stories and the pictures were gorgeous! Tell Kraig good luck with the new job and good luck to you dealing with a new baby, preschool and sports and laundry and cleaning and cooking and dishes... My verification word was ponful. After my exposure at the lake I was grateful I didn't catch ponflu.

Brenny said...

I just noticed that in the uno picture you have Mockingjay between you. Did you guys have to take breaks while reading it? I am almost done, I promise. I can't wait to talk to you about it.

Ashley said...

I want to sit outside and play uno with the kids asleep--that sounds so wonderful! I love that you and Kraig do stuff like that, and that he made it a vacation for you. The other best part of this post was the two older boys putting stuff on Tommy on the way to Mt. Rushmore. That is classic!