Thomas has outgrown his cradle. He can now grab both side rails at one time. I should have moved him to the crib ages ago, but he looks cute. Unless he moves around enough to get stuck in the corner because the weight of the cradle is thrown off balance. Then he screams.
SO, here's my quandary: Do I buy a second crib mattress to fit the crib and let Joshy stay in his toddler bed, or do I succumb and buy a second twin bed for Andy and Joshy's room. What about bunk beds? Do I really want my children up high? I've considered this bed. A friend bought this one and was able to slide a second bed inside the "tent." I might like that because then neither Andy nor Joshy are high up off the ground. And there's an optional slide attachment.

Thoughts?
9 comments:
That is a hard one. I can't remember a time when I DIDN'T sleep on a bunk bed as a kid. So, I know I was at least 5, but I can't remember when I got to sleep on the top bunk.
I guess right now, I am in the "cheep and easy" mode because my gut says, buy the crib mattress on Craigs list and then find the bedroom set for the boys that you really like (or have your husband build it) that will last the boys until highschool. By the way, Amanda keeps talking about a Princess Bunk bed. I wonder how we will morph the bunk bed plans to be more "princessy"
I was in a similar quandry a while ago and decided to skip the toddler bed altogether. Skipping steps saves money! Just get the twin beds that you like because you can use them forever! I found some really great bedrails on craigslist and Ollie loves his twin bed.
I'm sure Robi got the top bunk pretty fast since I don't remember a time when I didn't sleep in a bunk bed either...
I have no advice, sorry.
I just got the chance to check out your Flaming Gorge pictures -- so beautiful! And those rocks amaze me, too.
I love my bunk beds, and no one has fallen yet (and Charlie is only 3 and sleeps on top). They are great space savers. But I agree with Robin, you can get crib matresses pretty cheap, and if the status quo is working really well with the toddler bed, you might not want to disturb that. :) Also, this way you will have the toddler bed and the crib free when the next boy comes along. :)
In our house we go from crib to big boy bed (twin beds) The boys loved the bunk beds and we never had any falls except when they were playing on it as a fort and throwing folded socks as bombs and generally trashing their room so they totally deserved to fall!
We haven't done the toddler bed. They just go straight from the crib to a twin. I've always been a little afraid of putting a kid on the top bunk because I worry they might fall while trying to climb down in the middle of the night. Does Andy stay in his bed for the most part? If so, then I would probably go for the bunk bed. We also haven't been able to afford the actual bed most times, so we just get them a mattress and mattress frame and then as we're able or find something we like we get them the headboard, footboard, etc. later.
Kelly and I shared a set of bunk beds for years... two actually! The first was two twins, the second had a full on bottom and twin on top. I loved the second bunk set - and it seems a bit safer too - as a catch-all for the top bunk (with the lower bed sticking out and all). Plus it makes the person on bottom feel a bit more grown up with the big bed.
I'd go for the bunks. Sounds like you're going to eventually have to do it anyway.
I had the whole bunk bed debate myself and Tristan is still in a toddler bed if that tells you anything. We had a second crib though, so I didn't have to move him out. If I did, I don't know what I'd do- so I guess I am not any help. As for the bed you pictured- it looks great, but would you have fights as to who got to sleep in the tent? Just a thought.
What was the result? We are finding a similar situation here. Josh is still in a toddler bed, but Jacob can now almost climb out of his crib, then Josh turns Jacob's crib upside down and there is crying and NO children sleeping.
Post a Comment