I don't know how many of my lurkers are Garage Salers, or maybe a few of you will one day have a garage sale of your own, but I feel it's important to review a few points of garage sale etiquette.
- Post lots of signs. Don't put up one sign with an address on it. Useless! I need large signs that I can see from across the busy road, large arrows pointing the way through the neighborhood, and written in English. Adding a few details of what to expect at your sale is also helpful: Toys, exercise equipment, furniture, dishes, appliances, etc.

- Price tags. Put price tags on things. I don't want to ask you the price only to have you try and sell the item to me. If I want it, I'll tell you.

- Price to sell. Ask for more than you want to get out of an item so that everyone's happy with haggeling down the price. But don't be unreasonable. It's a garage sale for crying out loud. If you want more money, post on craigslist.

- Don't try and sell me garbage. I don't want to look at your broken toys, dirty furniture or burned out appliances.

- Put things on tables. Don't spread piles of old, dirty clothes all over the grass. Gross. If you must put things in boxes, label the boxes with the content and the uniform price for everything in a box.

I think if everyone were to observe these few guidelines, there would be a lot of happier buyers and sellers. But that's just my humble opinion.
9 comments:
I like these rules and I don't even garage sale. (That was a verb.) The "garbage" cartoon was great.
OOOOH!! Can I go garage sailing with you when I move to Denver? I am a huge fan of garage sales, in fact I have furnished my entire house that way. I got so excited last week when I started to see garage sale signs coming up. However, Sam had to remind me that I am moving and buying more stuff would mean packing more stuff. So, I guess I will have to refrain for a while, which means when I get to Colorado it will be time to let loose!!!
I think I'm the only one in our family who doesn't actively garage sale. I do admire your collection of strollers, though, and hope to have one just like it when I have kids. All kidding aside, I do see myself becoming a garage saler when I have kids -- the toys alone you can find are great!
I agree with tables and price tags. I'm such a 'just looking' person that if it isn't right in front of me (price and all) I won't look twice.
I agree with tables and price tags. I'm such a 'just looking' person that if it isn't right in front of me (price and all) I won't look twice.
We don't garage sale a lot, but we did for baby stuff before we had Abby and toys now. I totally agree with letting people know what you're selling. If someone's selling a baby hiking backpack--I want to know about it! :o) Also, the junk thing and clothes spread all over the yard made me laugh.
I love garage sailing! Sad to say cami gets most of her birthday and christmas presents from garage sales! hey one mans junk is another mans treasure! Oh thanks for the conference kits, cami was to young to use them, but I figured they would be great for next conference!
My smart sister-in-law started the "Mommy Store." Throughout the year, she shops at yard sales. She finds things for her kids. Around birthdays and Christmas, she sets up the "mommy Store." Each child is allowed to shop (at garage sale prices)for gifts for their siblings and parents. It is a great way to control what comes into your house (if you have ever taken a child to Walmart during Christmas, you know what a painful experience it is.) It teaches your kids about money and gives them the opportunity to really "give" a gift.
It's such a great idea. I always forget during garage sale season to tuck things away for our december birthdays. I need to plan better
Post a Comment