But unfortunately, Erika and I live hundreds of miles apart. So all of these efforts are my own design, with a nod to my friend in the north. And, there were no Kitchen Wenches in sight, so I did all my own prep. Phooey.
A few days ago Robin suggested that we each throw a "Yahoo or BooHoo" brunch to celebrate the start of school. It started innocent enough--the exchange of ideas for dates and times, emails with invitation formats, links to decorating blogs. But it quickly morphed into a battle of talents: Who could get the biggest guest list, with the best decorations, best location, yummiest brunch treats.
So, without further adieu, here are my efforts:
I decided to host my brunch at one of my complex's clubhouses. It turned out to be the best decision for a few reasons:
1) it was clean to start with and I didn't have to clean it. Word on the street is that Robin stayed up until 1am (on a school night! gasp!) to finish cleaning her house.
2) The bathrooms were clean (see number 1), and I didn't have to worry about the incidental stray stream from one of the boys.
3) It is much larger than my home, which much more seating. There was not a single folding chair in sight and no one had to sit on the ground.
4) I was not paying for the air conditioning and in this 100+ degree weather, they had that baby cranked!
5) Clean up was a breeze. I dusted my hands off and walked away
Here is the water! Great, right? The ice hadn't even melted yet! I have been eyeing this water dispenser for a while now because I love the empty space below the spout. I filled it with pencils, a paper airplane, and flowers. Oh, and Tommy in the background. Please forgive my photography skills. I am in no way artistic or good at it.

Here are the dishes! Is anyone surprised I chose orange? Actually, this plate decision came because I already owned them and didn't have to buy something disposable. See! I'm saving the environment too! (although I did have to fish a few plates out of the trash. Gasp! Throwing away plastic!) I made an announcement to the group after I had been fishing, but I still had to pull one out after that. Strange. Maybe there was someone there who didn't like my kids dishes.

Here are my centerpieces. I got the idea for the pencil vases online, but added my own touch with the notebook paper and paper airplanes. And flowers. Flowers just make me happy. Oh and Tootsies too. He makes me happy.
Not pictured are the sheets of butcher paper I covered the tables with so the kids could draw. Hello? $.19 boxes of crayons! How could I resist buying a few extra boxes. Bytheway, the kids enjoyed having the distraction and I think the moms enjoyed being able to visit while the kids drew.
Not pictured are the sheets of butcher paper I covered the tables with so the kids could draw. Hello? $.19 boxes of crayons! How could I resist buying a few extra boxes. Bytheway, the kids enjoyed having the distraction and I think the moms enjoyed being able to visit while the kids drew.
This was potluck brunch. There was a great turnout of friends (18, Robin. How many did you have?), and everyone came ready to have fun and eat well. (One friend even came in her swimsuit. No joke. She thought it was a swim party).
I wowed the crowd with my strawberry rolls. Oh wait, that's what would have happened if my silly rolls had risen and not been half a disaster. A tasty disaster, but not my finest exhibit of baking prowess. (My rolls were shoved back in the left hand side of the counter to make room for the 4 quiches people brought. Mmm. I love quiche!)
I wowed the crowd with my strawberry rolls. Oh wait, that's what would have happened if my silly rolls had risen and not been half a disaster. A tasty disaster, but not my finest exhibit of baking prowess. (My rolls were shoved back in the left hand side of the counter to make room for the 4 quiches people brought. Mmm. I love quiche!)
So it was a success. I came away from the party a happier person, so I must have done a few things right...or invited the right people...or ate the right food.
Next brunch: Pumpkin Palooza in October.
....
And this little jewel is just for those who miss my boys the most (pretty much anyone who reads my blog and doesn't live in Austin, Texas.)

4 comments:
You are so much fun. I always leave your blog feeling happier and wanting to do more in my day. And it makes me miss you more too. You are amazing.
Well, I think we can call it a tie, don't you think? I can almost smell the pumpkin cookies now--Can't wait for Pumpkin Palooza. It really is only about a month away!
I would surely hate to be the judge of the party contest. Both were amazing--just like their hostesses!
Oh, how I miss wrapping up clean little kids in a towel and hugging them close. :-)
You are so fun and creative!
Post a Comment