Maybe I'll repurpose a skirt that I have had in my project pile for about 3 years.
Beginning: I bought this skirt with my SIL because it was on clearance for about 2 dollars. We figured it was big enough that we could make two skirts out of it. Well, I am not that thin anymore, but it was still too big for just me. Maybe I'll use the left over and make a dress for my niece's barbie. Don't I look like a weight loss success? (Will someone teach me how to take a photo in a mirror? I look atrocious in each one! Maybe it's not the photo, but me! Eeek!)

Middle: I measured how much I needed to take it in and decided to do the chopping and sewing in one smooth step with my serger (which is completely invaluable when doing clothing construction, bytheway). Just my luck, my serger is suffering from the same sickness as my Bernina and wouldn't keep the stitches. I said a little prayer, dismantled it, re-threaded it and viola! I was in business. So, back to the project.

Middle: Chopped waistband and twin thickness of skirt. Easy breezy, lemon squeezy.

Middle: Added an additional little elastic to the waist band so that my clingy 18 month old cannot pull off my skirt.

Middle: Added an inner pocket hidden at the waistband for my cell phone. I always tuck my phone in my waistband when I don't have pockets and 80% of the time it falls right on out my pant leg. This is to prevent that.

After: I forgot to take an after photo, but have since worn the skirt and shirt (did you notice?) to the spray park with my children. It was about 105 degrees, but the skirt was light and breezy. A definite success!
5 comments:
Look at you! What a cool wonderful project. I am always on the search for summer skirts but can never find any I like. If only I had the skills to redo a old skirt... :)
Brenny, bring a skirt or two and we will have Jacqui help us! I love it Jacqui! So cool--literally. Texas, summer and skirts go together. I gasp when I read about your serger! But so glad you are so capable. Any news from the sewing machine repair?
Amazing. My mom would be so proud of you, too!
I love the cell phone pocket. Now I know there is no reason for you not to answer:)
I wish I knew how to sew. sigh..
Post a Comment