Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Roll Sale, take 2

I did my Thanksgiving roll sale again this year. Last year was so great staying up late, working my little fingers to the bone for the 35 dozen rolls I had orders for, I just had to do it again.
.
Ok, ok, I truly did a have a great time doing it last year. But with all the new dynamics in my life this year (Hello? I have 3 children! Who has time to do anything?), I was still in the "should I subject myself to it again" phase two weeks ago. Well, then a customer from last year asked if I'd be doing the roll sale again because she wanted to order 8 dozen this year. Huh. Ok. Sure. I guess the decision was made for me.
.
I sent around an email announcing the sale and within 24 hours I had received orders for 35 dozen, matching my total from last year. By the end of the ordering window, I had orders for 63 dozen. Whoa. That was a little more than I had anticipated.
.
So I made up my spreadsheet of who wanted how many dozen when, worked out a timeline for mixing, rising, cutting, rolling, rising, and baking, and set up my bakery in my mother's kitchen. Behold, my saving grace:
Double Ovens
(can you hear the choirs of angels singing?)
.
I also happened upon a Bosch mixer at a yard sale this summer. It only had the dough hook attachment, but it was a great $10 investment in my "business" to have two mixers crankin' out batches of dough. (I'll spare you the paragraph of why I love my kitchenaid mixer only because I've written about the beaut so many times before. Please don't misunderstand. I only used the Bosch under these extreme circumstances. My loyalties lie with KitchenAid.)
.
I had another "proofing oven" at my disposal. My rolls rose in half the time! I can't imagine how long it would have taken without it.
.
Here are a few of the batches after coming out of the oven. Robin made a batch of cinnamon rolls for Thanksgiving morning--we didn't sell those :) You'll have to contact Robin to order her cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. Rob, do you want me to post your phone number here?
.
Here are most of those soft, chewy and delicious rolls, all bagged and ready to be delivered or picked up. I had about 20 dozen orders that I filled before Thanksgiving day. This was "only" 45 dozen.
.
And here I am. Can you see the bleariness in my eyes? Someone snapped this photo for me just before we ate our own delicious Thanksgiving dinner, accompanied by my rolls (the only thing I was responsible for this year. Yesssss!).
.
So, if you missed out this year, I think I might do an Easter roll sale. Watch your inbox:)

11 comments:

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

You are amazing! We (and I mean our entire party) LOVED your yummy rolls and they saved me so much chaos that day. Thanks again- I'll be watching for the email for Easter!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

PS and Double Ovens are awesome. I am not counting on having them in our next place, but here is wishing!

Erika said...

Pure heaven. I am sad that they are all gone. Amen for double ovens. You don't look tired at all you look radiant and beautiful.

Robin Fisher said...

Cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning....No, I don't think I am as crazy as you, but I will keep my options open. It was fun to be part of the project.

Brenny said...

Amazing! Cory and I were discussing how cool your roll sale is and wish we could have helped out. I'm glad it went well, and I hear you about the double ovens. I neve knew how spoiled we were growing up... :) You look great, but that shirt did remind me a bit of a Hogwarts blazer. Are you in Gryffendor?

Christi said...

Double ovens is my wish, but it's not an option in our current house. We did just get a new oven though, we opted for a convection oven. I'm still figuring it out... but I did bake 6 dozen cookies in 30minutes today-AWESOME! So far, it's been a great alternative to double ovens.

I think I'd like to give your recipe a try...

Helen said...

Our house had a wonderful smell for the Thanksgiving holiday and I loved being a part of the roll project also. Congrats to my AWESOME Jacqui!

Kelli said...

Yum. Do you deliver to Utah? How about shipping? I think it is awesome that you were able to accomplish so much! Go Gryffindor!

Chadlee said...

Sign me up for Easter rolls!

Ashley Preston said...

Seriously? You've got to stop showing me up! My self esteem is really taking a hit! You are AMAZING!! The rolls look delicious and I want to eat one right now!

Ashley said...

This boggles my mind. A single batch of those wears me out and I don't want to bake again for two weeks. I hope you raised your prices this year--obviously people are willing to pay!