Monday, April 19, 2010

Welcome Home, Thomas and Good bye, Big Ugly Bush

Thomas was in the hospital last week with RSV. No fun. It turned into a 5-day stay which meant that I was away from the hospital for a sum total of 5 hours (about an hour each day to run home, shower and get a change of clothes). I slept each night on a pull out couch that was, surprisingly, not that uncomfortable. I ate an impressive amount of hospital cafeteria food. I learned a lot about nasal aspiration. I'm now convinced that a mother can never know enough about nasal aspiration :) We're so grateful that it wasn't more serious than it was. Thomas seems to be getting better every day we're home, especially with the help of the battery operated Greco nasal aspirator. Forget the bulb suctioning, Moms. Go with the high powered suck :) $20 at Babies R Us. It's dishwasher safe.
We were also very blessed to have Kraig's parents come out to help while Tommy and I were in the hospital. After Tom and I got home, we all had lots of fun playing and working in the yard. Mom and Dad actually helped us do a little landscape remodel. Check it out:.
.

The Big Ugly Bush before. I've posted about weeding this monster.



.


Dad and Kraig hooked the Big Ugly Bush (heretofore known as BUB) up to Kraig's van and pulled it out. It was a slick way to remove BUB and some old tree stumps that were there.



.


After pulling out BUB, we had to remove a ton of dirt to make the spot level with the rest of the grass. This necessitated Kraig going to buy a new wheelbarrow, which in turn led to a few rides around the yard. Thomas was around to enjoy the action also.


.


Then came the sod. This van just keeps on giving. I've found out that laying sod is like doing a larger than life puzzle. Kraig, Dad and Mom are aces at puzzles. The only thing we saved from the BUB bed was a little tree. He now has a proper home.


.


Finished product. We've been watering it like crazy and it's already almost as green as the rest of the lawn. I'm SO excited about the landscape remodel. Now we can play soccer in the yard without running into BUB. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

11 comments:

Christi said...

I had no idea there was an option to the bulb. That is one of my least favorite mother tasks. May have to invest in the power sucker. Glad your little guy is on the mend.

Yard looks great!

Chadlee said...

I'm so glad you guys are home from the hospital and little Thomas is ok. Nice work on the yard!

Brenny said...

The masks are awesome. I'm glad you guys are home and that you were able to find a good booger sucker.

The yard looks great!

Ashley said...

It's so sad to see teeny tiny Thomas in that big hospital crib! What a scary and bothersome ordeal! So nice of your in-laws to help out while you were gone. Very impressive work on the yard, too!

Christy said...

Wow, what a busy series of events! Glad little T is home again.

And holy moly! That was one major plant tear-out/yard renovation. Good job!
:)

Jon and Diana said...

Wow, what a project! The lawn looks great and I bet you are loving it. Sorry to hear about Tommy being so ill. RSV is the devil. Isn't it just the saddest thing to watch your little baby get suctioned? Jacob was only 6 weeks when we were at the hospital too. Scary. Good to hear about the nasal aspirator. I've seen ads, but haven't been sure about the quality. I'm near running out to Babie's R Us right now, because the boys are sick..AGAIN. Anyway, glad things are better!

Robin Fisher said...

I tried to teach Tommy how to properly clear his throat and nasal passages, but he just wasn't getting it. Glad you got the sucker. We are trying to get grass to grow. I would do the sod thing, but there isn't any Fescue to be found. :(

Kelli said...

Aspirating sucks.

Yard looks fantastic. What great helpers you had! Good riddance to BUB!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

RSV is no fun. I am glad he is doing better. PLEASE let me know how I can help out, especially when things like that happen. It is nice that the grandparents were there though. It is ALWAYS nice when grandparents are around. Love the new yard- I actually think laying sod is kind of fun (as long as someone carries the pieces to me :) ). Looks great!

Please Pass the Green said...

Bub looked like he could eat or has eaten small children. Now you can rest easy that you won't lose any of your boys while playing in the yard!

What a trooper you are to live the hospital life with a sick little guy. That's so scary. I will definitely have to make mention of the Greco nasal aspirator in my book of things for my future family. I'll even put your name in the entry so you get credit for the idea.:)

Webb Crew said...

What great pictures. It is good to see that story in pictures. They sure had a good time. We wish we could join you this week for a great weekend but I don't think my 36 week pregnant body would do very well in a car for 8 hours. so, hope you know we love you guys and wish we could be there.