So, instead of tackling the mile-long list of "to-dos" this afternoon, I took myself (and my children) to the mall. Now, normally, I don't take my kids many places that don't have the luxury of shopping carts and child safety seat belts. And I don't employ my double wide stroller very often (outside of a walk to the park) because the aisles are never wide enough and stacks of clothing seem to end up on the floor as we walk by. But I digress.
The mall. I've lived here in Denver for over 2 years now and I'm afraid I've never walked the length of the outdoor mall until today. I even did things I don't generally do while at said mall:
- Bribed my children to behave, stay close to me, and not touch things. Ok, I bribe my children into good behavior often (if anyone has a better parenting tactic, I'm all ears), but today I bribed them with a trip to the candy store. Really. It sounds so cliche, but it's true.
- Bought a book full-price from Barnes and Noble. Who does that anyway? I paid $19.45 for a book that was $10.23 at barnesandnoble.com. Does anyone really shop bookstore/music stores when everything we want can be shipped to us the next day from amazon.com?
This is Suzanne Collins' 2nd book in the Hunger Games series. I decided to buy it instead of wait for my copy at the library (another first) so that I can have good reading material on my cruise. - Paid $10.45/pound for Jelly Belly jelly beans (to bribe/reward my children with at home) that I can get at the grocery store or --gasp-- Walmart for $2/pound. But I had to follow through with the candy store reward. What kind of mother would I be if I didn't?
I'm worn out. I need a vacation. Thank heavens I have one scheduled.
8 comments:
I'm excited for your cruise. I hope you have a great time. Just FYI, so you don't load up your precious suitcase space with too many books, most ships have a little library full of vacation-type reading material that you can check out for free.
Now I'm getting jealous...
You are awesome. I know I'm a new mom and everything, but I see no problem with rewarding good behavior.
And when you get back, I am first on the list to borrow 'Catching Fire'. WAY better choice than Twilight...
Dude, sometimes you just have to pony up whatever it takes bc you need something NOW. I don't feel guilty about that anymore. 90% of the time I do the online game, or wait for stuff to go on sale, or buy the cheaper version from Walmart--but there is a time and place for the splurge and usually it involves maintaining sanity or controlling kids. I'm glad you got a book you'll love for your cruise! That will make it even more fun. Have a blast!!!
Hey, let's be clear on this...positive reinforcement is when you offer the jelly beans if they can be "good", a bribe is when you give them the jelly beans before hand, then expect them to be "good". Bribery never works. Good parenting is all about the positive reinforcement of good behavior.
Also, just finished Catching Fire, it was a one day, ignore the family, frozen pizza for dinner, book for me. I did preorder on Amazon, but I had to wait to read until a could find a day I could get away with escaping the majority of my responsibilities. It is fun to splurge on a book once in a while. Happy reading! And, Happy Cruising!
I think I could've written that exact email...almost. Jacqui you are such a dare devil, or maybe at your breaking point, thats when I do extravagant things too. Enjoy your vacation!
I bought the book too! Can't wait to read it! I am so excited for you to go on your cruise. Take lots of pictures. I always forget to take pictures when the kiddo isn't around!
I found your blog again after so long!! You look great and congrats on number 3. Wow, where has the time gone? I hope you had a great cruise!
I WANT A CRUISE BLOG POST!
Post a Comment