Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Spoonful of Sugar

Maybe this is a new theme for my blog: All situations can tie back to a Julie Andrews song. Really. I can't get her movies out of my mind, this darn book...



Kraig's participating in a 2-day conference this week. He got the time off of work, but to make up for the extra days off, he's working long days at Classic. I feel like the kids and I have hardly seen him. I feel like I'm not being the best mom I can be because there's no relief in sight for a break for myself to recharge, let alone time with my honey. The house is suffering as I'm desperately trying to just manage the mess AND make jam from the 48 pints of raspberries I bought AND watch my friend's children AND entertain my own children AND get my exercising in so I don't feel like a blob on top of it all. Huh. I think I've over scheduled myself. Anyway...

Half the berries made into freezer jam. 24 more to go. I think I'm a woman obsessed with freezer jam.

I had mixed up Kraig's conference schedule and thought it was Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, but lo and behold he actually had today (Wednesday) off for his normally scheduled class down at Metro--no conference! Hallelujah! We had the whole morning to get things done around the house.


His "Honey-do list" has been getting longer and longer and with no extra time, I wasn't able to check things off of it either. So this morning we divided and conquered. Kraig took the kids with him into the backyard where they mowed, trimmed, chopped, weeded and cleaned. He let me have 2 hours to myself to weed the monstrous bed in the front yard. I've always found joy in weeding (especially if I get nice, long roots out), but this was so rewarding. We'd been letting the grass and weeds grow in the bush completely unchecked because we want to change that part of the yard, but haven't been inspired as to how. Our delay in deciding has left it completely out of control. Now that the weeding's done, we have to trim back the bush, but at least it looks much better in the mean time.

Before, side view. You can hardly tell where the lawn ends and the bed begins.



Before, front view. I should have been sitting back there so you could see how tall the grass was.


After, front view. Ok, it doesn't look great in the photo. The bush is atrocious, but there are no weeds!


I got something done that I wanted to do with no children taking my attentions elsewhere. That's my spoonful of sugar.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I am so glad that you and Kraig had some time to get something done. It makes you feel so much better doesn't it? Kudos on all the freezer jam also! I never ever make enough!